The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was planning to section off the rear of an existing 20x30 metal building to use as a shelter/milking area for the planned pair of Nigerian dwarfs. Would this be either too hot or too cold? I could install vents or build additional shelter for cold months if needed. I'm also concerned for their well being, would they feel more secure with a smaller place for bedding?

This is Arkansas, it gets pretty darn hot during the summers but see very few days that would get below 30

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
you may want to make a kidding pen 5x5 is fine for nigerians. as long as they can get in from the wind in winter they should be fine. and the same goes for the sun.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that's a pretty great idea, i was thinking the space was a bit obsessive but it's kinda already sectioned off that way after storing hay through the winters

·
Super Moderator
58,887 Posts
It is always nice to give them as big an area as you can. You can do temporary sectioning for kidding stalls or make something permanent. We put up OSB board around the area that has the goats to protect the metal and give them a little more insulation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts