She's coughing.... help?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Cinder, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    My new doeling (3 yrs. old), who I've had for about two weeks, who is pregnant and due to deliver the end of January started to cough the night before last. She doesn't cough a lot but every 1/2 hour or so I heard her while out doing chores. Yesterday I only heard her once when I was out there both morning and night. This morning she had a coughing fit that lasted 15 seconds or so.

It is really, really cold here this week (below zero temps with the night before last minus 18). I put her and her wether brother in a totally inside stall every night and kept her there all day yesterday since it was so cold. It's not an enclosed stall, it's made of round pen panels but it's away from the doors of the barn with a wood board between them and the doors to stop any wind.

My hay is a little dusty.

Should I be concerned? I am!!

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Have you taken her temp?
    wet cough or dry?
    nasal discharge?

3. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Dry cough, no nasal discharge. I don't know how to take her temp? Do you need a special thermometer? I'm assuming it has to be done rectally?

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I suggest a digital thermometer. yes rectally. normal temp 101-104

how is her eating habbits?

5. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    human thermometers ... can be used...I find it is easier...to use the digital human thermometer ..it is much quicker ....you do take it rectally .... tie up the goat..put KY Lube....on the tip of the thermometer..or on the anal area......slowly and gently ...(do not force)....insert it ....not to...to far in....make sure you watch it... because they can poo it out... wait out the time ...when it's time take out the thermometer....wipe with a tissue and read the temp....after you use it.....clean with rubbing alcohol.... :)

6. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Stacey - so far she's been eating fine. She appears to be drinking well also.

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    does she cough after exersize (like running to meet you?)

when was she last wormed adn with what?

8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    if she is eating and drinking fine ...she may have lungworms...I agree with stacey ...when and what ....have you wormed her with ...and at what times does she cough?

9. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    No, the coughing doesn't start after running around. For example yesterday I put them back from the outside large run are into their small inside barn stall about 1:00 as the winds kicked up here. She is very calm and comfortable in the inside stall, it was about 1/2 hour after moving her back inside that the had the worst 'fit' of coughing.

I was told by her previous owner (who only had her one week!) that the previous owner said she was wormed last summer. I don't know what was used.

Last night I was out in the barn milking and doing chores for about 45 minutes. I heard her cough twice during that time period.

I'm headed out to check on her right now.

10. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Cinder, I have a few goat doing the same thing right now. As cold as it is (beings we are only really a few miles from each other), I would not worry to much. Mine are coughing when it was that -12 here and as it warmed up they stopped. Today it should be above 30 so I would watch her.

Also I think the little dusty hay just might have a little to do with it.

I also use a digital thermometer, and KY lube. Matter of fact I have three different ones JUST in case I am not sure if one is working.

11. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Lori - thanks for your response. She did cough once this morning while I was out milking. I found out that one person (at least not me) can't take a goats temperature alone! :hair:

I was able to take it today and her temperature is 102.3. I'm really hoping it's the dusty hay... but that's all I have. Is that really bad? I have a barn full that will get them through the winter of this hay. It looks really good, it's a fourth cutting alfalfa, with lots of leaves and is very green.

12. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Her temp is normal. And it sounds like your alfalfa is fine...I'm thinking like the others that it could be lung worms.

13. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    I checked her eye lids and they actually look black. I thought you could see the pink or white by just looking. So, I pulled them back a little and they are pinkish.

How do I check for lungworm and what do I give her? Should I just treat her without knowing for sure?

Since she's pregnant I don't want to give her meds unless absolutely necessary.

14. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    sometimes they just cough.

Lung worms are hard to catch in a fecal because they stay in the lungs most of the time unless they are coughed up and then get into the digestive system.

What you can do is worm her with ivermectin (safe for pregnant goats) especially since it has been a couple months since she has been wormed adn you dont know what she was wormed with. Ivermectin takes care of a variety of worms but not all but it does kill lung worms.

I treat with the injectable kind giving it orally at the rate of 1cc per 20lbs (cant OD them on it though) follow up with a second does 7-10 days later.

Or if you use a horse wormer (active ingredient Ivermectin) triple the goats weight and then dose accordingly. Again follow up with second dose 7-10 days later.

I have to worm my Gigi and this is what i plan to do for her as her lids are pale pink. She was bred on the 3rd.

15. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Stacey... so you use an injectable medicine but give it to them orally instead of injecting it with a needle? Just want to make sure I'm understanding correctly.

16. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    correct.

I chose to give it orally because i dont like giving needles :(

If you do give it as an injection then follow the directions on the box which I do believe says 1cc per 110lbs

17. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Cinder YEP. I know it can get a little confusing.
    I also gave it to a pregnant doe last year. It is fine.

You cannot get the results of Lung worm form a fecal. If she is still coughing when it warms up here tomorrow, I would give her some of the Ivermectin. It could still be the hay. If you want to see for sure try putting just a little water on the hay to knock off some of the dust. In the summer that is how our horse prefers to have her hay, just a little wet. Weird I know. :shrug: