She's not giving me any milk!

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by Bebop, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Bebop

Bebop New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Baumholder, Germany
    Here's the general routine:
    started keeping the kids in at night
    I get up early, get a warm washcloth and soapy water
    I don't have a milkstand so I tie her up which she hates.
    give her grain
    finally get her teats after much protest
    nothing.. I squeeze and bump and squeeze, look online to see if I'm doing it right.
    Her kids seem like they're being fed, and I have squeezed a bit out of her teats once, but what's going on?

2. Realfoodmama

Realfoodmama New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Santa Fe, NM
    She needs to let down for you. If she doesn't want to, she can hold on to that milk until her kids get to it!

Is she a FF? Has she been milked before? She needs to be able to relax and feel safe in order to let down.

You may want to look into building a milking stand. If she really hates being tied up that may be the problem. Check out the plans on Fiasco Farms web site:

http://fiascofarm.com/goats/milkstand.html

Also if she is really engorged after a night of no kids on her, she may be very sore which will result in kicking etc...

3. pelicanacresMN

pelicanacresMN New Member

Sometimes it takes quite a few squeezes before you get the good streams of milk coming down & get a good rythem going.
    Are the kids being separated at all from her?

4. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

I went through a kidding season without a milkstand...

If you cant get one, when you tie her up, talk to her, and make her calm, give her a little grain from your hand, then slowly start to milk, we got the most unfriendlest goat to let down the milk for us, so im sure you can do it!

5. Bebop

Bebop New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Baumholder, Germany
    No this is her 4th freshening I believe. Im pretty sure she's been milked before. Maybe she just really hates being tied up... Well I haven't been able to talk my husband into helping me build a milkstand....(get the materials) So this is really the only way I can do this... I might just let this go and try again the next time she freshens.

@pelican - I usually try for about 15 min. The kids are 2 weeks old and I separate at night. She's really jumpy though and moves around quite a bit. I keep having to keep her from choking herself.

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Is this the first time you have ever milked a goat?

It's a bit different with small girls compared to standard does...for one, the teat isn't as big. What I do is to encircle the teat with my thumb and forefinger at the base of the udder, the top of the teat, push upward gently and then clamp off the top of the teat while pressing the teat against your palm with your 3 fingers..like a water balloon...fill, clamp and once the teats filled express the milk. I milked standard does the same way, just was able to squeeze the teats as opposed to pressing them against my palm to get the milk out. If they are engorged, it helps when I wrap a very warm wet dishtowel around the udder first to help with let down.
    A milkstand helps but getting the doe to calm down for milking requires patience on your end, I started milking my does without a milkstand...one doe I tied to the fence and straddled her, facing her butt, held the bowl in one hand and milked with the other til she learned to stand still. I literally pinned her with my knees, one in each flank to keep her in one spot. Tying her, washing her udder then giving her the grain and then trying to milk will give her the idea, if she starts to jump, take her grain away with one hand while keeping your other hand on her udder, if she doesn't calm down with gentle talking, a swift crack on the butt sometimes helps. Once she's standing still, give the feed to her and proceed to milk. If you give up on her she'll be getting her way and will continue to have bad milking manners.