The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Goat Crazy!
6,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many of you know, we recently were gifted a beautiful young LaMancha bred for mini Munchies. She's a super sweet girl with us, and she has lots of fun in her personality. But oh, she HATES our other goats. We have 4 nigies and and mini LaMancha that are all terrified of her.

We put out several feeding stations, etc. But there's only one stall. If we leave it open, she guards the door and won't let the others in. If we close her in with the others, she rams them mercilessly. Kinda tough when we've been having temps near 0 degrees.

She has my 20 year-old daughter in tears tonight. All our does are pregnant and if she causes injury or miscarriages, we'll have to cull her.

Any ideas how to get her to settle down? It breaks my heart to see the other does so terrified and my daughter so upset...

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
Oh dear I'm so sorry, bully issues are so tough. I'm having a bunch of trouble right now too, even some goats so scared to go in they got rained on and soaking wet :(

Anyhow, two things that are helping here:

I put a hay rack outside (with a makeshift roof).

I used a sledge hammer to drive a post in the middle of the shelter doorway, then I put a wood pallet standing vertical that essentially divides the doorway in two.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Is it possible for her to have an area to herself? Maybe she still needs to adjust to her new home. That could be a reason why she is so aggressive. She is in a new environment, so it could have her on edge.

I really hope things get better!

·
8,157 Posts
I hate to be negative, but is this why the original owners got rid of her? Can you divided he pen where she has a small place to sleep, drink and eat? (Like a little pen at the fair) put small water bucket high enough so she can't poop in it. Since this is only at night, she will be fine. It gives the others a break.

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
I have 1 doe...yes she is the queen B of my heard. She didnt use to be. But 1 birthing...and she got mean. Soooo It brought out the B in me. When she is fed..she is fed last. And on a leash tied to the feeder. She cant boss the others. When feeding is done. She has to wait on me to un leash her. She does have her own wood pallet stall..just big enough for her to sleep in. It took about a month..but I dont have to shut her in the wood pallet sleep bunk. Its open. No one else wants it...but she still goes in. She is not as mean now. But at least..on a leash..she is not bullying anyone now.

·
Goat Crazy!
6,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, my hubby had just suggested building her a small pallet shed of her own. We can move her into our small pen that's usually for small kids or a visiting buck. We do have a shelter in there, but it is too small for a Lamancha. Sadly, it is frozen to the ground right now, but we can still squeeze the pallet shed in the pen. Hopefully, if we do it right, I won't lie awake worrying about her freezing on the super cold nights!!!

·
Goat Crazy!
6,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK...So hubby followed through and he and I manufactured a serviceable (though ugly) little "barn" for Minnie to have to herself. So far, she doesn't seem to mind being alone. Although she really wants us to talk to her when we go out. You know, I don't think she's "mean" so much as insecure. She's rather easily spooked...

Anyway, here's the set up: We screwed 4 pallets together and then stapled tarps on securely. The opening is away from the predominant weather. We had to secure part of the tarp over the little chicken house we use as a Nigerian barn because it's frozen quite solidly to the ground right now.
DSC00007.jpg
DSC00008.jpg
DSC00009.jpg

DSC00010.jpg

As you can see, the rest of the riff-raff are glad she's out of the pen. Although Annika still keeps a wary eye on her!!
DSC00005.jpg

·
Registered
595 Posts
I’m glad you got her separated.

We’ve had some Lamanchas who were total jerks to other goats during pregnancy. With the stress of the move it could have made it worse.
We bought a doe years ago. She was the herd queen in a herd of 40 goats. We brought her here and she seemed like she was adjusting well. As soon as she got pregnant she turned into a jerk. She even broke another doe’s leg (it was so tragic, and the leg couldn’t be fixed. Lost her & babies. Just devastating). We didn’t think it’d get that bad. After that, the doe was separated for a few months until she kidded. After kidding she was tolerable. The following few years she had to be separated during late pregnancy. Now she’s pretty chill and doesn’t have to be separated, she really just needed time. This doe would be perfectly content to be an “only child”.

·
Super Moderator
83,058 Posts
All good advice and looks like a good setup for her.

Is she mean with everyone of them?

If she stresses out too much, by being alone, she will have to go to a new home or have a buddy who she gets along with.

Goats are a herd animal and most don't do well alone.

·
8,157 Posts
I have a Saanen that was low man in the group of 15-20 does. She ate last, only got remnants of hay, last drinks of water, etc. it was a real challenge to keep her alive much les getting any weight on her.

If a new doe entered that group, she "Momma" beat the crop out of the newbie. She was desperate to rise up thru the ranks. I finally pulled her out. She is in the same barn, just her own pen. She's been there over a year, happy, fat and perfectly content to not be with others. (She shares a fence panel with 3 does.). Some goats need to be alone!

·
Goat Crazy!
6,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Soooo...DRAMA.

1. Went out to do evening chores and she had broken through the gate and was in with the other girls. She lowered her head and went after Annika, so back in her "time out" pen she went. We made sure the gate was securely fastened.

2. Came out to do chores this morning. She had tried to push through the gate and got a carabiner latched onto her collar. She twisted around several times and was basically tied in a choke hold onto the gate. Thankfully, she didn't appear to have been there too long and suffered no harm - eating fine and chewing cud and not particularly fazed at all. She got a nice neck rub and her collar was retired for the time being. She went after Annika and tried to bite Fresca - so back into the time out pen. We made sure the gate was secure. (No, seriously. We DID!)

3. Came out to do chores this evening. Claire was IN the pen with Minnie. Whaaaaa???? How??????

I'm not sure I even want to know.

For tonight she is separate again. And the girls have assured me that the gate is secure.

Hahahahaha!

But tomorrow we may try letting her and Claire stay together. Claire is a mini LaMancha. So maybe they have that breed connection that keep Minnie from killing Claire.

This is getting very interesting!!

·
Goat Crazy!
6,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK, I am happy to say that Minnie seems to be mixing in much better now. I almost think she must have been low goat in her LaMancha herd. She is very quick to submit to any one of us if we need to correct her. She still bosses the other girls a bit, but she is sharing barn space and food now and isn't ramming them. They stay out of her way, but no longer seem terrified. Hallelujah!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts