The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We banded our doe's horns on the 9th of October. On November 25th, Chloe spooked a bit getting off the milk stand, due to a falling object, and hit her horn on a gate, and officially became a Unicorn! (Temporarily)

It wasn't as scary as I thought. There was a bit of bleeding, but nothing that made me worry she would bleed to death... The "odd" coloring on there is my failed attempt at putting cayenne pepper on her to stop the bleeding... She didn't like that at ALL, so we just left her alone, and it stopped by itself after a few minutes...
Now she has a scab on her head...
Hopefully there won't be any scurs!!! ***crossing fingers***

I found this website: http://www.goatworld.com/articles/disbudding/dehorning.shtml that talks about banding horns. And there is a photo of horns that have fallen off, but Chloe's didn't look like that... I will have to take some photos of her horn and show what I mean....

Now it's a waiting game for the second horn to go....
The second might take a bit longer, because for some reason it's a bit larger...
I really should shave the base of her remaining horn, and replace the rubber bands.... :think:

She's still mad at me. But I am slowly winning her over with massive amounts of fruit! :laugh:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
32,192 Posts
poor baby..hope she heals quickly...what beautiful horns she had...

·
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
poor baby..hope she heals quickly...what beautiful horns she had...
I know... :( It was heart breaking to have to do this. But it was either that, or sell her, and there is NO WAY IN HECK that I am parting with my baby!!!
She was being REALLY mean to Hope. Almost broke her leg a couple of times getting it caught in her horns (because they curled down more like a sheep's horn would).
Her aggression with the horns was a concern, because Hope was going to be bred in November / December... (And she was) Chloe would have bashed her to bits, and there was NO WAY that Hope would have carried her baby to term being beaten on like that...
Since she got banded, Chloe is WONDERFUL with Hope. They even eat together now! :)

I attached a photo of her and my son. It shows the horn she just lost :(
She had a habit of bashing into Hope underneath in the back, and getting the leg stuck in there, then she would just hold her there, sometimes bringing Hope down screaming....
It was just a matter of time when she was going to snap her neck the wrong way, and break Hope's leg... I couldn't let that happen...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
32,192 Posts
Oh I understand...goats know how to use the horns for sure : ) she is a beautiful girl..even one horned : ) Looks like too, that one day those horns would have caused her issues the way they were heading toward her neck ....hope she feels better soon : ) an adult aspirin might help curb the discomfort..but leave enough to remind her it hurts to hit!! :D

best wishes

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.