The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! New goat mom here. My doe is definitely pregnant and close to kidding. Her mucus plug is coming out and her ligaments are loose. What I can't completley understand is what is meant by shiny udders?? Her udder is bigger than usual but I cannot tell if it is shiny. Any advice?

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
Some folks shave the fur away from the back of the legs and the udder. When the udder really fills, the skin is stretched to the point of being shiny. I don't choose to do any trimming for my does, but my rule of thumb is that when the udder is filled so much that it extends beyond/behind the rear legs then kidding is very imminent. Trust me, for most days, one day you'll go out and just go WOW the udder is huge and also she looks like she has been starved for weeks as she is all hollowed out in front of the hips.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Trust me, for most days, one day you'll go out and just go WOW the udder is huge and also she looks like she has been starved for weeks as she is all hollowed out in front of the hips.
I don't clip my goats prior to kidding except for the long hairs under the tail, so I have hairy udders come kidding time too, and it's hard to see whether they're shiny. But SalteyLove nailed it. One day you'll go out to check the goats and her udder will look like it's about to pop. The sunken in spot in front of the hips is another good sign that kidding will most likely be that day.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't clip my goats prior to kidding except for the long hairs under the tail, so I have hairy udders come kidding time too, and it's hard to see whether they're shiny. But SalteyLove nailed it. One day you'll go out to check the goats and her udder will look like it's about to pop. The sunken in spot in front of the hips is another good sign that kidding will most likely be that day.
I've read that as well. I appreciate the feedback!!

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Welcome and congratulations on the upcoming birth of your kids!
When you have time we have a great forum section called the breeding pen that has places to post pictures of the new kids to a waiting room for expectant goat parents. There's a lot of great information too.
I'd love to see a picture of your doe :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When you have time we have a great forum section called the breeding pen that has places to post pictures of the new kids to a waiting room for expectant goat parents. There's a lot of great information too.
I'll try and get some today and post! Thank you. I'm already loving this forum.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here's a pic of my girl Ginger. I'll post in waiting room also.
20191103_151201.jpeg
20191103_151229.jpeg
20191103_150904.jpeg

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's a small family auction. We don't really plan on buying more goats at this point but if we do I want them registered so they won't be from auction.
Oh no, auctions, stay clear from them from now on.

Hopefully they will be OK.
Auctions have so many diseases going through there.

She is a really pretty doe. :hug:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts