The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
So, a fewish weeks ago I posted about storing hay in a carport tent etc... However, I'm going to get a storage container for the hay... Anyone ever do this? Do you need to put pallets down before I load the hay? Anyone know? Thank you in advance...

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pallets it is, and I also found out I should loosely tarp it because it will sweat Hmmm, maybe I could but vent holes to help with this, I'll ask the guy tomorrow...

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
I will actually salt the hay before stacking it in there...
Hmm now this I have heard of but disagree with. Salt attracts moisture so if the salt is touching the hay the hay will no doubt get moisture as well. If the salt is not touching the hay, in its own bowl, the humidity will all go there and leave the hay alone instead of having to go through it to get to the salt in turn drawing moisture to the hay as well.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmm now this I have heard of but disagree with. Salt attracts moisture so if the salt is touching the hay the hay will no doubt get moisture as well. If the salt is not touching the hay, in its own bowl, the humidity will all go there and leave the hay alone instead of having to go through it to get to the salt in turn drawing moisture to the hay as well.
I have always put salt on hay, it actually soaks up the moisture, and prevents the bales from sweating, and to keep them from combustion... One container of salt isn't going to get all the moisture, yes it will get some, but not all.... So salt will soak up the sweat from the hay... Animals like it too... you only put a handful on each layer...

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
I have always put salt on hay, it actually soaks up the moisture, and prevents the bales from sweating, and to keep them from combustion... One container of salt isn't going to get all the moisture, yes it will get some, but not all.... So salt will soak up the sweat from the hay... Animals like it too... you only put a handful on each layer...
Depends on how much hay you have. I have a very small shed and a very small delivery and for me I feel that salting in between layers will attract moisture to the salt, which then causing the salt to dampen, and it can only hold so much water before it cannot take in anymore and then the hay will dampen from it at that point. If you salt the hay there is no way to replace the salt when it gets too wet, and then your hay gets ruined.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Depends on how much hay you have. I have a very small shed and a very small delivery and for me I feel that salting in between layers will attract moisture to the salt, which then causing the salt to dampen, and it can only hold so much water before it cannot take in anymore and then the hay will dampen from it at that point. If you salt the hay there is no way to replace the salt when it gets too wet, and then your hay gets ruined.
Actually it's quite the opposite... It will keep the hay from sweating, so the hay won't sweat, so therefore no moisture.... I'm talking 2-3 tons of hay... Now if I just get a little bit of hay, then it's usually gone within 2 weeks I don't worry about it, but when I store lots, I have to put salt on the bales to store for the winter here in the PNW because of how much rain we have...

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
Actually it's quite the opposite... It will keep the hay from sweating, so the hay won't sweat, so therefore no moisture.... I'm talking 2-3 tons of hay... Now if I just get a little bit of hay, then it's usually gone within 2 weeks I don't worry about it, but when I store lots, I have to put salt on the bales to store for the winter here in the PNW because of how much rain we have...
I see where we have caused the confusion here.

MY moisture isn't coming from my hay it's coming from the 70-90% humidity here. So it's in the air, and I'd rather it be drawn to salt on the other side of the wall than to the salt that would be keeping my hay dry from sweating.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
I’m just speaking from observation. I had a bag of salt out and I left it open and it turned to slush. I don’t want slush in my hay.

We make fecal floats by making a saturated solution of salt. There is only so much water that salt can hold, and eventually it can’t hold anymore and is a liquid. Same for this, if my humidity makes that salt wet enough it will moisten my hay.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
It’s like leaving a trap for a raccoon right next to your cat food to keep them from eating your cat food. Sure, they may eat the stuff from the trap, but they may eat your cat food too!

Bad analogy, I know, but I don’t want to set the trap right under the thing I’m trying to protect.

It’s just counterintuitive for me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts