Shipping goats from WV to ALASKA?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by DancinGoatGal, Oct 10, 2007.

1. DancinGoatGal

DancinGoatGal New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Central, WV
    Ok, so I had babies born on the 30th of Sept.. I advertised the buck on LOTS of YahooGroups....

Some one replied and wanted to know if I shipped goats - and she lives in ALASKA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've NEVER SHIPPED a goat, ANY where - I wouldn't know WHERE to start!?!?!?!

How long would a flight from WV to Alaska take I wonder.....hmmmmmmm....

What are some opinions on Shipping goats??? :?: :idea:

2. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    yoicks - can you tell me where she is in Alaska???

My brothers are 2 hours south of Fairbanks and it gets to -60 in the winter. I'm just wondering if that's a bit cold for goats!!! :eek:

3. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    go to lamanchas.tripod.com and click the Tips page, she has links to airshippers.
    It costs around $250-$500 depending upon where you are going and how big the goat and carrier is.

4. DancinGoatGal

DancinGoatGal New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Central, WV
    Goats are pretty hardy animals.. And it is a considerable climate change I'll admit.

Remember Alpines come from the Swiss Alps originally and can stand pretty cold weather. Just like Nubians come from Desert and can stand hot weather.

She'll be resposible for all shipping/crate/Vet fees... I'd say including the buck's sale price she'll be paying at least $800, if not more total..

5. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    That's her decision and let her make it. And personally, I don't see anything wrong with paying that much for an animal. I mean, think about it, they are payed off in one kidding season. :wink:

6. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I was always told they were fairly sensitive animals and got chills easily etc. That's why I always run to get em in if it rains - in case they melt or something...

7. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    There's goats in Alaska Katie, just not a lot. It's hard to get them up there. Plus, these are Alpines right Linda? They get pretty fuzzy in the winter.

8. DancinGoatGal

DancinGoatGal New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Central, WV
    It doesn't bother me about paying that much, trust me.. I just hope she realizes it..LOL

Some goats are sensitive, and other are really laid back and could care less......

I have a buck I can tie out. He's really tame.. One morning it looked like it was going to rain, but I figured I'd tie Hawk out for an hour or two to let him stretch his legs.. But I figured I'd HAVE to take him back to the barn if it rained...... I think I got a migrain, and went to lay down and fell asleep.. three hours later I wake up and it's POURING!!!!!!!! :( I ran downstairs and looked out.. You want to know what my buck was doing???? EATING WEEDS!!! Paying NO MIND to the rain WHAT SO EVER! lol It amazed the heck out of me that he wasn't standing there screaming his head off....

Yep, McCloud (the buck kid) is an Alpine.. So the weather isn't what is bothering me..lol
    It's the shipping!! :D He is still young enough to adapt to a major climate change - I hope!

9. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    just give them some probios or yoghurt before he gets on the plane or whatever he is going by and make sure he has water before he gets on the plane and then tell them to give him water as soon as he gets off. It will be a long ride and very stressful so she may have to give him more probios or yoghurt when she gets him home. Tell her to watch for signs of stress and illness. You never know what can happen. It's better to be safe than sorry. Goats are shipped successfully everyday so if she is willing to pay that ammount then I would do it. JMHO