Shipping in Goats?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Sonrise Farm, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    What are the procedures to shipping in goats? any tips/warnings, things a person should be aware of? Thought this would make an interesting thread . . .

2. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I had several kids shipped in this year....really worked out perfect with no problems whatsoever, I just was waiting at the airport so I'd be there to get them as soon as their plane got in...brought some milk along too (mine were bottle babies) usually they didn't want to eat until they got home and settled in a bit though.

3. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Well, I've only had a goat shipped in an airplane and that was pretty stress free. He was three months old so maybe that was why. I've never had younger goats shipped.

For air shipping goats, its always best to ask the breeder(if they have experience with the airlines) and ask them who takes best care of the animal during shipment and who has the lowest cost. The breeder books a flight the day before the goat is shipped then you basically just go to the airport, pay for the ticket and pick the goat up.

One tip, be sure and check the status of the flight online before you leave for the airport to make sure there are no delays. Yogi's flight was due at 2:45 and we got there at 1:30, but the flight was delayed two hours which means we had to sit there for 3 hours. Kind of fun, we were back in cargo so we got to see all the planes take off :greengrin:

4. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    I am hoping to ship in 2 bucklings and a doeling next year . . . the entire cost including shipping will be around 1300 dollars . . . so I may have to x one buckling to make it possible.

5. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    We have had goats shipped to Ohio in the past but some places won't ship when it gets really hot though.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    what are the prices .........any of you have paid for shipping? :)

7. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    We paid a little over $200 for 2 goats.

8. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    I used Delta Pet First 2 years ago when I had my original goaties flowm from Cafilornia to Minneapolis. It was a bit more expensive (about $40 per goat more; a total of $160 per goat = NOT including the cost of the kennel) than the other options, but it went so smoothly I don't think I'd do it any other way again. Not with purebreds/breeding stock anyway:

1. The goats were "last on, first off" flying via pet cargo. If there would have been a delay over an hour, they would have been checked on to make sure they have water.

2. The kennels were tagged w/something so the airline could tell exactly where the goaties were at all times.

3. Delta was just so very helpful, whereas the 4 other places I contacted were not at all "goatie friendly."

Words of caution:

* there are temperature limitations: they will not ship above a certain temperature (make sure you're checking the Departure AND Arrival locations)

* try to get a flight going directly from point A to point B with no "connecting flights". The fine print indicates that if there is a problem with the connecting flight (i.e. the flight is cancelled) the animals will be brought to the animal shelter for that area if no one claims them within 2 hours = a bad thing if it's a state half way between you and the breeder

* there are size requirements for the kennel, i.e. the goat must have enough room to sit down, stand up, turn around, etc.

* make sure the veterinary/health check meets the requirements of the state the animal is departing from AND the state it's arriving in.

They arrived safely and in much less amount of time than land travel, and they weren't exposed to other health issues from other animals.

9. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    Kennel sizes . . . okay how big should a meduim kennel be then? I have one that is big enough for two american Eskimos to squeeze in there and have room to sort of turn around . . . (note: this was a short transportation method for my dogs . . .were not in there long.)

10. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    some one directed me to Uship.com
    worked out great!
    will use again if i ever need a goat shipped
    but don't plan on going to uship on monday to have a goat shipped on friday
    it takes a while but worth it

11. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Coming from CA to OK 2 young kids in a size 400 kennel was a little over $300 for me....about the same for 2 I had shipped in from MN.

12. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    wow ....thank you all....everyone has alot of information...........thanks for the pricing......... :)

13. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    heavenly haven, how much did you pay to Uship? ~

14. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    This is a great thread!! I was curious about shipping goaties. . . . doesn't sound as bad as I thought. Do most breeders make the shipping arrangements for you or do u have to?

15. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    The breeders do, unless there is a "special" situation.

16. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    That's nice! I think we will end up shipping in a buck. . . . :) Now to just pick a breeder! That's the tough part! ;)

17. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    How about health certificate costs, vaccinating . . .etc? how long does it take for the goat to leave and reach its destination?

18. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Don't have to have any vaccinations that I know of, but you do have to have health papers...price varies on those. The breeders I ordered from made all the shipping arrangements...all I had to do was pick up. :)

19. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    No vaccinations, there are certain states that require TB Brucellosis testing for goats, I think just for 6 months an older for some states though. And health Certs range in price from about $25 to $50. I still need to find out what ours will cost here, but we don't currently have a phone book, my brother took it to a friends house and misplaced it :roll:

20. ArcticGoats

ArcticGoats New Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Hi,

We shipped our new goats up this summer (see photo section - air cashmere)! It worked out well and the goaties were fine - we just did a little bit of preparing. I'm just re-iterating most of what's been said already - but the important points are:

1. airline reservation. airlines have various rules for shipping animals - talk to the airline you want to use. some will let you ship it as a pet, some only let them go 'cargo'. They also have high and low temperature cutoffs that you'll need to be within. And, our airline, had a maximum number of animals that they would put on any one flight so make sure to make reservations early to get the flights you want. we used alaska air and they required they go as cargo and had very specific crate setup rules (nonslip material on floor, absorbant material on that, a way for them to be watered, and only 1 goat per crate). we needed large dog kennels for 3 month old cashmere goats to meet space/headroom requirements, and we used rubber shelf liner glued to the bottom of the crate, and hay on top of that for absorbent material (plus food!), zip tied a plastic water bowl to the door. also used bolts and lock nuts instead of the plastic stuff that comes with kennel and clipped the door shut to prevent and accidental release (some airlines won't allow the kennels that just snap together...). i also recommend making your flight for early in the day with few stops (less to go wrong) and if there are delays or missed flights, then your goat may be able to catch later flights in the day instead of facing an overnight somewhere in limbo.

2. vet check. these are usually good for 30 days before the flight.

3. state import regulations. we needed an import number that was issued by the vet during the vet check. if the animals are over 6 months old they may need certification/tests to be disease free. call your state vetererinarian as each state varies.

Some people recommended using calf calm and nutri drench and all sorts of stuff to alleviate the stress - but in the end the goats were probably calmer than we were! They managed quite well and we didn't use it (tho we probably should have used the calf calm on ourselves!)