The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if this is the right section to start this thread under, oh well.
So when looking for a breeder to buy my goats from I see some people on their websites saying they ship goats. How does this work? Is it through the mail? or do you have to like go to the airport and pick them up somehow. Is this a viable option for obtaining goats or is it a complete hassle and too stressful on the little goaties?

·
Fair-Haven
4,727 Posts
Do remember to ask which method they use and the additional cost - this can be quite expensive depending on the method and how far the goat has to be shipped.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Some can be threw air and others are from people who actually haul the goats in a trailer (or whatever). I'm sure to a point they both are stressful but it's a good way to get new blood away from your area.
Okay, I thought that's how it worked (through the mail would be strange for the postal workers):haha:. I will probably go to a farm to get my goats, but the farms are just a little farther than I wanted to drive, but I'll do what I have to.

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
Some breeders have shippers they know to call if a goat needs hauling long distances. A health certificate must be done if out of state shipping is happening. All cost is paid by the buyer.

Some may meet you half way. Fuel cost is paid by the buyer.

Airlines shipping, you will need to purchase an airline approved shipping crate, it must be big enough for the goat to stand and turn around with ease. New, it should come with stickers for shipping and food/water containers for inside. Pee pee pads for the bottom of the crate alone with approved bedding to keep the goat dry. Small amount of food like alfalfa pellets in a baggy and a bottle of water can be taped to the outside with instructions of care, if the trip is long. But they don't seem to do any of it, but it is there. I do freeze some water in one of the containers, then before leaving put it in the crate, it thaws as time goes on, in the other container, put some alfalfa pellets in it.
A health certificate must accompany the goat.
When shipping though, there is a weight limit for both crate and goat inside.
Of course the seller will have to do all this for you, but, all cost is paid by the buyer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts