shipping

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by countryboy, Oct 14, 2009.

1. countryboy

countryboy New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Can ya'll break down the shipping of goats? The whole process would be of great help!

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    what kind of shipping?

3. countryboy

countryboy New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Buying a goat from far away. Having it shipped in instead of driving to get it.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I am aware of what shipping means --- I meant did you want to know about Air Shipping or ground shipping?

5. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    If you're buying adult goats, then there are a lot of livestock shippers around, Ron Keener and Ziegler transport are good from what I've heard, but shipping adults can be kind of pricey.

For babies, airshipping is the way to go. The breeder is the one who has to arrange the flight, it costs around $250-$400 depending upon the airline and how heavy the kid is. Airshipping is great though, I've airshipped three goats in and have had no problems :)

6. countryboy

countryboy New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Thank you both. Stacey, I'm sorry. There are better goats far off. I'm just trying to learn my options, both air and ground.

7. Ariel301

Ariel301 Guest

Oct 12, 2009
    I can understand that. I couldn't find anything locally except Nubians and scrub goats. I had to haul my goats from Colorado to Arizona in a trailer, it was a 15 hour drive or so. It can be expensive to ship them either in a trailer or by air, but if you're after top quality goats that you can't get locally, it may be worth the price to you.

If you are having kids shipped by airline, they will be put into a dog crate and fly in the cargo part of the plane; you then pick them up at the airport. I've never done it with goats; I have shipped tropical fish by air though. The other option, if you can't go the distance to pick the kids up, is to hire a professional livestock hauler. There are people who haul horses or other livestock for a fee; they will pick them up, put them in their trailer, and bring them to your home or another location you agree to pick them up at.

8. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

Actually Ive been able to find really good ground shipping rates for my last few hauls

I just recently brought in three goats from Minnesota for $300 total!

I was also looking at a buck out in Colorado and had a quote for only $400 for that haul.

You can usually wait out the bids until someone is trying to fill their trailer/trip and get a really good rate.

9. countryboy

countryboy New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    This sounds great. Now treat me like a newbie and please explain.

10. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Try www.U-Ship.com for ground shipping.

EDIT: Sorry wrong website addy!...fixed it!

11. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

12. countryboy

countryboy New Member

Dec 7, 2008
  13. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    I wish I could add something to this, but I think everyone has made the suggestions I was going to make :thumb: I will add that I have posted on uship before to check on what I could get a goat shipped for and it was a REALLY easy process. There is also no obligation to accept any offers. If you don't get an offer that you like then you don't have to accept any of them and there is no fee for placing the ad or anything if you don't.

I think it is GREAT when I see newbies to goats getting on a forum and trying to learn as much as they can in advance! So great job and keep the questions coming!! :thumb: :hi5:

14. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

i have flown in several kids. The key is to do it at a young age. I have only ever used continental and they are great. I have a bottle of water ready when they come off the plane, and they get that in the car. I always take someone with me and they do the driving on the way home and i carry the kid on my lap.
    Ground shipping can be kind of pricey. I was quated four hundred for a buck kid, from california to washington. I could do down and get him myself or fly him for less then that.
    Show season is a good way to transport goats too, a lot of people are willing to pick up for you. for some help with gas money.
    beth