Shivering Wether

Discussion in 'Goat of the Month' started by Shannon Horner, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Shannon Horner

Shannon Horner Member

Dec 27, 2018
    NY
    I purchased a wether in September, he was underweight so not a good body score. He then got a cold from transport. I started feeding him more, gave probiotics and he is better filled out. Going into winter though he didn't have a good winter coat. He was cold numerous times and vet said put a coat on him. I didn't get a coat, i instead make sure he has thick bedding and out of wind.

Vet said his famacha score was good. Also copper was mentioned as his fur was thin and he has a bald spot on his nose. I gave him copper a month ago and some selenium. I have started him and my other goat on replamin plus several weeks ago on weekly routine. His fur has thickened a little since however, he is shivering. He still has bald spot on his nose.

Sadly, and i know many will be upset but, last night I put him in kidding shed with a premier heat lamp just on outside of his pen, he can't reach it and its secured with three clips! It is keeping pen at 20°f. It was a quick fix so I didn't lose him overnight and today. It's -20°f here right now and I noticed he starts shivering under 5°-10°f. Should I give him another copper bolus or is there something else I need to do.. am I missing something? Thanks again!

2. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    The heat lamp was a good idea. You could also make him a blanket from an old winter coat or a wool sweater. Make sure he's got round-the-clock hay. If the rumen is working it will help him stay warm. You can also bed him down with extra straw. Much body heat can be lost through the ground if there's not enough insulation under them.

3. Shannon Horner

Shannon Horner Member

Dec 27, 2018
    NY
    I started round-the-clock hay a week ago.
    I can't find a supplier of straw currently so ive been laying hay down.
    Yesterday I brought out warm water five times through the day. It's been so cold!
    I may get a blanket when i go into town if I can find one.
    Thank you.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Did you get a fecal for worms and cocci?

Glad he was given mineral supplements.

Does he have lice/mites?

A coat is OK, if it is cold and he doesn't have a winter coat. Or a heat lamp is OK too.
    Do not feel you are wrong for doing it.
    It is OK until he is strong again.

Is his rumen OK, a lot of movement and sounds left side?
    You can give goat or cattle gel probiotics and fortified vit B complex Sq 6 cc's per 100 lbs.
    It won't hurt and may help him.

How much copper and what form did you give.
    His weight?
    The copper is good for 4 months or so.
    The reaction is slower because it is slow release, if given by bolus.

5. Shannon Horner

Shannon Horner Member

Dec 27, 2018
    NY

I have checked numerous times, I dont see mites or lice.
    I was afraid to use heat lamps considering dangers but felt it was ok in this situation.
    He eats well, pees well, good stool. He has good rumen sounds. He's very active, in fact, he is a very hyper goat. Very fun too watch. What fur he does have is very silky.
    I haven't measured/weighed him. Vet said he's about 75-85 lbs by looking at him. I would agree with that weight.. im petite and only weigh 130 lbs and can actually pick him up to get him on milkstand to trim his hooves. He's a toggenberg.
    I will give him some vitamin B.
    Even though he had good famacha vet gave him dewormer anyway. I also give him herbal dewormer once a week.
    I'll give him a pour on treatment just in case I'm just not seeing lice and mites.
    I was thinking it wasnt cocci or worms because he seems very healthy in every way but he doesn't have as much fur as my nigerian and the fact he cant handle too much cold has me scratching my head.
    Vet didn't seem concerned to get a fecal test done on him. Is there a way i can do tests on my own? I've been trying to get into doing tests, shots, etc by myself.
    Thanks!

6. Shannon Horner

Shannon Horner Member

Dec 27, 2018
    NY
    1223181501b~3.jpg
    This is him a few weeks ago. See the strip on his nose.. I copper bolused him a month ago, maybe just a little more. How long Will it take for hair to come back?
    We do have very high iron in our water, im not sure if that doesnt help in mineral balance. ?

7. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    High iron in the water does cancel out copper.

I as well have an iron issue, we have had an expensive water treatment system installed by culligan, we still offer loose salt and minerals, yet sometimes one will show deficiency.

He does look skinny, but if the vet just tested for worms and cocci not long ago, he should be OK.

What are you feeding him?

8. Shannon Horner

Shannon Horner Member

Dec 27, 2018
    NY
    Free choice hay, 1/2 cup alfalfa pellets a day, tbsp BOSS. Should I be giving him more?

9. MadCatX

MadCatX Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2018
    GA
    Forgive me if I sound stupid here, but could you double up blanket, throw it over him like a saddle blanket and tie it on lol...IM sorry Im in the south, my goat shiver in the 30s and im bringing them on the porch lmao...

10. Dwarf Dad

Dwarf Dad Well-Known Member

That is what I give my NDs. I don't know what else to give him, more calories. Here in south MS my goats have more hair and fat than that Tog.
    He may need a blanket or an old sweatshirt.

11. Shannon Horner

Shannon Horner Member

Dec 27, 2018
    NY
    Yeah my nigerian dwarf goat has much thicker fur than him, probably double! I'll look into more calories for him and increase his feed. Thanks!

Dwarf Dad likes this.
  12. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    You can buy calfmanna, it is a really good one to help put on weight. Start out slowly then increase some. You don't need much added. Beet Pulp shreds are also another thing, not much is needed.

Be careful, you want to keep the 2:1 calcium/phosphorus ratio.

Free choice hay, what kind?
    Alfalfa pellets can be increased some, but gradually.
    If you can get alfalfa hay, that would be good too.

Shannon Horner likes this.
  13. Shannon Horner

Shannon Horner Member

Dec 27, 2018
    NY
    Okay, I was wondering about beet pulp. I'll increase his alfalfa pellets too and may be try the chaffhaye. I couldn't find alfalfa hay in my area. The ca/ph ratio is what holds me off from grain. I did sprinkle some grain in his feed last night though.
    He was shivering a little this morning with the shed temp reading 10°f but recovered almost instantly with a warm bucket of water. I think I might buy a water bucket warmer.

I'll try to fatten him up more. He's a little better than when I got him but still skinny. Thanks!

Dwarf Dad, Lstein and toth boer goats like this.
  14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yeah, it doesn't take much calfmanna or beet pulp, a little goes along ways. ;)

What he eats gets burned off to keep himself warm, so increasing calorie intake helps.
    Being thin, it is harder for him to stay warmer.

Dwarf Dad likes this.
  15. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    How is your wether doing?

16. Shannon Horner

Shannon Horner Member

Dec 27, 2018
    NY
    He's doing great! He all of a sudden grew a better under coat. And with me feeding him just before I go to bed he stays warm for the night. He got through the last -32°f night very well. Thanks for asking!

17. Shannon Horner

Shannon Horner Member

Dec 27, 2018
    NY
    I also increased his feed and hes gaining some weight.

SalteyLove likes this.
  18. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  19. Idahogoats

Idahogoats Active Member

Sep 5, 2016
    Lenore
    I have a heated lamp for my 3 spoiled boys and my little girl. My contractor building our house said he had never seen such big goats. Yes they are spoiled and well fed. IMG_0554.jpg

Dwarf Dad likes this.