The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wether is shivering /shaking. He has no other signs of anything. They have heat lamps and it is around 40 out. He has done this on and off for a week or so. Acting normal other than that. Should I be worried

· Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He's 1 year I'll go check his temp now didn't even think about it

· Premium Member
10,547 Posts
I would not keep a great lamp on them all the time. They need to be able to regulate their body temp. I always worry if I got them use to the heart lamp them I lost power they are going to really have trouble.
How big is he? Can you get a dog cost for him? Does he have straw down think for bedding? Make sure he has all the hay he wants. That helps keeps them warm buy their rumen is working.

· Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They aren't really hot ones at all and 4 feet up. Thick layer of shavings yes they have coats but I don't put them on this warm because they grow good winter coats plus he does it with the coat on. Free choice hay

· Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll try that. I normally turn off heat lamps during day if it warm enough to let them outside (pen is attached to the barn so they can still go in and out

· Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Huh. I was told that it would be cold. Guess it just drops off lol I wasn't smart enough to check the forecast

· Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah. I maybe if I keep them out tomorrow Buck-E will do better..

· Banned
5,939 Posts
My wether is shivering /shaking. He has no other signs of anything. They have heat lamps and it is around 40 out. He has done this on and off for a week or so. Acting normal other than that. Should I be worried
I would not put up a heat lamp, nor would I put a coat on him. Winter hit unusually early this year and, assuming his temp is normal and he is eating good, he just has not had the opportunity to grow an adequate winter coat. Both heat lamps and coats will interfere with that and leave him in a bad place when winter really arrives. Lay in an extra deep layer of bedding, give him a little more feed, keep an eye on him, bear in mind that shivering is a natural response to cold, and let nature take its course. I know it sounds harsh, but it is better for him in the long run. I've had a few does shivering, too, but they now have better winter coats and are ok.

· Registered
6,548 Posts
I would not put up a heat lamp, nor would I put a coat on him. Winter hit unusually early this year and, assuming his temp is normal and he is eating good, he just has not had the opportunity to grow an adequate winter coat. Both heat lamps and coats will interfere with that and leave him in a bad place when winter really arrives. Lay in an extra deep layer of bedding, give him a little more feed, keep an eye on him, bear in mind that shivering is a natural response to cold, and let nature take its course. I know it sounds harsh, but it is better for him in the long run. I've had a few does shivering, too, but they now have better winter coats and are ok.
I tend to agree with this. We all baby our animals way more than we should. Hehe

· Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Lol my dad yells if they don't have the lamps on or coats. He seemed better this morning though. And I wont have heat lamps or coats on until it is in the TEENS . I have a stupid question...... For some reason my pygmies have problems with cold around 1 then are fine younger and older than 1. Even as kids they did fine with cold even negatives... Could that be genetic? All have same mom.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.