Shivers?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by rocky_ridge_goats, Dec 16, 2010.

1. rocky_ridge_goats

rocky_ridge_goats New Member

Aug 6, 2010
    In the mornings, since it is cold, sometimes the boys (goats!) jump out and shiver a little bit. Is this okay? inside their barn is actually pretty warm, and i just added another bale on the ground today. Plus, I have been feeding them extra and making sure they get lots of water. How do i stop/cure the shivers?

2. Myakkagoater

Myakkagoater New Member

Apr 10, 2010
    It doesn't matter how warm it is in my barn. As soon as the sun comes out they are all fighting for some of those warming rays. Shivering is quite normal. There body muscles are just spasming to produce energy which produces warmth. As long as they have calories to burn they should be fine. As soon as the sun comes out let them at it.

Tom

3. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

Isnt it good for them to shiver? I know that when mine come out of their house they shiver as they stand and get warmth from the sun.

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    My pygmy buck Hank is the only one of my 9 that I've seen shiver....he gets extra warm feed with added corn oil to help with the extra calories he uses to keep warm, he's silly though cause even though the hay rack is full inside, he'd rather stand outside to eat!

5. rocky_ridge_goats

rocky_ridge_goats New Member

Aug 6, 2010
    Whew. I thought I was going to have something bad on my hands. Now that I think about it, Bill is always in the sun, shiverin' a little in the morning during his wake-up call. (And he runs around like a wild man), so I am very glad that it is okay! (But he always jumps back in, so it has to be nice in there!)

6. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    When my boys are really really shivering I usually soak their food in hot water, add a little oatmeal, a little molasses or Karo, and some whiskey. Warms them right up.

Obviously I don't do that all the time. Just when it's really really really cold out :p

7. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Mine sometimes shiver for a few minutes on cold mornings--right after they get up from their warm little beds in the straw. A little shivering is no cause for concern but prolonged shivering or shivering with any other symptoms (not eating, poor coordinantion, etc.) would need quick intervention.

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    It is normal.... :wink: unless... they are not eating and not acting normal.... :thumb:

9. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    My goaties shiver in the mornings when I have to go to work early. I have to feed them extra early on those days, so I get them out of their warm little "beds" to eat. I feel so bad for them on those days. Their little tails shake so much when they shiver. Poor babies. But I know the feed they eat will help warm them up when they get some calories in them, so I don't feel so bad afterward.