Shock Collar on a Buck (Dont roast me)

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by MadCatX, Jan 26, 2021.

1. MadCatX

MadCatX Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2018
    GA
    LOL - So, we were watching Clyde go ballistic in Rutt..its been very bad. We spent about a 1000 dollars on a metal shelter for those two and he has saw fit to try and bust through it.
    SOOooooooooo, has anyone used a shock collar on a ND Buck? 75ish lbs, intact, and full of vinegar.

2. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    I’d think a good electric fence would work better if you’re trying to keep him out of somewhere/contained. Are you trying to keep him out of somewhere or target a specific behavior?

3. MadCatX

Jan 16, 2018
    GA
    Id say temperament training to not destroy objects.

4. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    I’d say Clyde needs a buddy to cause trouble (play) with. He’s probably bored.
    How’s Bonnie doing?

5. MadCatX

Jan 16, 2018
    GA
    She's doing alot better, standing there complaining in the sun and eating foliage. Yeah, I am beginning to wonder if I need to add a wether to this group...Clyde could agitate him and he could give clyde a hard time.
    Bonnie honestly doesnt seem to care much about them hanging out, she sort of motors to her own drummer. Now, I need to outline these are spoiled pet bottle babies. So, this is my fault...lol

6. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

From personal experience, if you want to add a wether, I would say, add him after the rut. While Clyde is still crazy, he maysee him as competition over Bonnie. Also, the wether should be big enough that he is not at a disadvantage.

GoofyGoat, Damfino and Iluvlilly! like this.
  7. MadCatX

Jan 16, 2018
    GA
    Oh no, I will pick out a beast

8. wheel-bear-o

wheel-bear-o Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2020
    Vermont
    Yeah my first question is, does he have a buddy? During the short period when he was on his own, Whitey used to be absolutely uncontainable whether he was in or out of rut. We COULD NOT keep him in his own pasture. He would literally climb a 6-ft fence and do a somersault over it and topple out, then wander off to say hi to the first person he could find. We got him a wether friend and his escape behavior has entirely stopped.

I personally did put Huckleberry in when Whitey was still in rut and he didn't bother him too much, we only saw him try to mount him one time, but I do think it's pretty good advice to wait until Clyde is out of rut to add a new guy.

Damfino and MadHouse like this.
  9. MadCatX

Jan 16, 2018
    GA
    All good advice, its basically Bonnie and Clyde so I think maybe eyeballing a new wether would be cool, maybe go hunt down some rescue somewhere.

GoofyGoat and MadHouse like this.
  10. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    Agree with a buddy, just be careful adding the buddy when your buck is in rut. We actually had to move our wether out of the buck side this year when they came into rut as they would not leave him alone and he was miserable. He’s quite happy living with the girls right now, but he’ll go back with the bucks once rut has calmed down.

MadCatX, MadHouse and NigerianNewbie like this.
  11. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    I tried a shock collar, didn't work. They don't understand if you don't correct each and every single time. Continually, and as soon as you leave, they go right back to the unwanted behavior. I guess their brains are not wired like dog brains. Years ago, when I showed horses (and dogs) there was a medication that the vet gave to bring a mare either out of season or delay it. Same with dogs. I wonder if there is such a thing for bucks? A rut avoider?

Iluvlilly!, MadCatX and GoofyGoat like this.
  12. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    I think a similar sized and age wether will help a lot! Can you keep them in a kissing fence pen so they can sniff and snort at each other for a few days then put him i the pen with Clyde? I think it’ll be just the thing Clyde needs.

MadHouse and NigerianNewbie like this.
  13. NigerianNewbie

NigerianNewbie Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2018
    Central NC
    Castration :heehee:

14. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
  15. MadCatX

Jan 16, 2018
    GA
    This boy here, lol I swear I am 300lbs well..295.4 ahem...and in boots now, this 75lb Goat drug me down the mountainside. Now, I just dug the heels in and tried to ski it until I got traction..Bonnie see this, goes berzerk and runs...so yeah. RUT. Over it.

16. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    HA! Yeah, get him a wether. Since it sounds like Clyde has a bit of an attitude, I'd look for a wether that's larger than him. Otherwise he might bully the wether pretty bad. Bucks always think they're 10x bigger than they actually are so it helps to get them a buddy they can't actually push around too much. Good luck!

17. MadCatX

Jan 16, 2018
    GA
    Shoot the way he thinks I could have one of your boys in there with him and he's going to be like...Im the big bad buck..lol which for me its kinda funny because last night...Im out here in a full blow argument with this goat. Then I decided to go in for some hand to hoof combat. After he nearly gored me, I tried to grab his hooves and put him on his side, its then that I found out goats are also ballerinas in their spare time, because he would get one hoof down and it was like he could maneuver in the matrix. They can also kick legs, wiggle arms, and a fence is nothing but a climbing piece for them.

So, I went old school offensive line and scooped the brute and put him on his side. He was alright lol but I also found out they can wiggle pretty good. He's better today because I of course had to apologize to him and such, whilst he blubbered still. Hard headed joker. I dont see how yall handle some of the big bucks.

18. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    Well, when it comes to bucks in rut, I try my best NOT to handle them! :)

Also when it comes to bucks (or any goat really), wrestling is not usually a good way to put them in their place. As you discovered, they are incredibly strong, agile, and able to stay up on their feet. You're more likely to get hurt than to teach the goat anything useful. If you're not careful he may even learn to enjoy sparring with you, and then you've got a real problem on your hands!

In general I think it's best to keep my hands off the goats and use a water gun or a riding crop to make my point when I need them to back away from my space. It's also super important for every male goat (even wethers) to have an appropriate sparring buddy. Goats love to bang heads and when they don't have another goat to clack with they end up trying to clack with people, dogs, horses, chickens, the gate, your trees, etc. You can't train this behavior out of them--all you can do is redirect it. Since the only satisfying and appropriate target is another goat, you need to supply him with a suitable penmate who can take him on and not be hurt or cowed by his aggression.

GoofyGoat, MadHouse and MadCatX like this.
  19. Caileigh Jane Smith

Caileigh Jane Smith Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2019
    Missouri, USA
    Oh geez! I can relate! My buck finally figured out that he's bigger than my very dominant wether, now. So, we've had a wonderful pecking order readjustment in addition to rutty behavior. Everyone is finally, finally, starting to settle. They have a big pen, lots of space, and I moved one of those big wooden spools down there so they have something to bounce off of. My wether figured out he could get on top of the IBC tote that's serving as their house, so dad helped me screw some metal on top of that to keep him from breaking through the plastic. Never a dull moment!

GoofyGoat, MadHouse and MadCatX like this.
  20. MadCatX

Jan 16, 2018
    GA
    LOL Yeah, I usually dont have too and that is like 90% of the time I don't ever have to get handsy with him, it really does not work. Stubborn as a goat has truth to it.
    And yeah,lol I told him from the crouched position, alright big boy we can wrassle, well no..no you cant because a goat is some sort of miracle of evolution. Not to mention, he smells like a Lynyrd Skynyrd Concert porta potty. So I had to shower. He seemed happy about that. I told my co worker earlier, their balance is something that is next level, it truly is. BUT Yeah talked to the wife and we are thinking of getting him a nice size wether to pal around with. I'm still looking for that Boer Pygmy Beast goat, that would be a nice one for him to lock heads with.

BUT - in saying all of this, you know its just learning and being responsible for his well being. I've learned a lot over the last 3 years with these two.