The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a lactating doe who delivered quadruples two weeks ago. Then she got very sick with worms and she is beginning to recover from it. Her poop is becoming berry forms, she is eating hay and grains well. She is drinking on her own. She still doesn’t produce enough milk so I bottle feed a few of her babies.
But she has a short breath. Her body temperature is in a normal range so I am not sure exactly why she has a short breath. It’s been over a day and I am very confused.
she doesn’t show the symptom of pneumonia. She doesn’t have any nasal discharge. Her appetite is good. At the same time, she was overtaken by Barber pole and was in a lot of pain last week.
Also, I separated two of her babies into a separate pen while the mom was very weak last week. I tried my best to feed the babies with the goat milk from other doe but I have used milk replacer for cows time to time. They are back with the mom since a few days ago. I noticed swelling and rash on their tail skin and butt.. is this a staph infection or can milk replacer cause these type of rashes and swelling? The other two who have been with the mom do not have rashes or swelling. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!!!

·
Registered
895 Posts
How is her famacha? Did she become anemic? If so, she needs iron. When a goat becomes anemic, their iron levels are low. Red blood cells carry oxygen all over the body form the oxygen being saturated in the lungs. Iron is needed to build blood. If she was anemic, she is having trouble absorbing oxygen from the lungs thus she will need to breath more frequently. If she is only partly anemic, then you can give her red cell orally at 6cc per 100lbs. If she is severely anemic, she will need injectable iron, Also, a shot of b vitamin complex would be helpful.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts