Short/Expired BoSe on VetServ

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by guessa1, Dec 31, 2014.

1. guessa1

guessa1 Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Do you think it's okay to get the short/expired products on vetserv for a discount or do I need to buy the full price product? Looking at BoSe. It's 100mL worth and I will only need 2cc per goat (2 goats total)....can BoSe store for a long time? Will it last for years? Anyone know?

2. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    BoSe expires in about a year from purchase date. (they always have it on the bottle)
    100ml is a lot for just two, if you have a vet you should be able to buy separate doses when needed.
    Thanks for posting this, it gave me the opportunity to see mine is expired. We run around 20 at a time & still have a few doses left.

3. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    My vet gave me a whole bottle of newly expired BoSe. He said it was still good but he could not sell it expired..:)...

4. Trickyroo

Trickyroo New Member

Sep 26, 2012
    New York
    So its good for a whole year after it expires and is the same potency ?

5. nicolemackenzie

nicolemackenzie Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2014
    Maybe. It is probably good for a bit after expiration but the potency will change. I'm not sure how long it is safe to still give past expiration. If it doesn't look normal I wouldn't use it anymore.

Efficacy and safety are also going to depend on if this product has been properly stored.

6. LadySecret

LadySecret Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2013
    Western Oklahoma

A vet may think expired meds are ok to give to livestock but the manufacturer only guarantees potency and safety until it expires. Six months past its expiration date, it will have lost significant potency, making correct dosing difficult. Also, drugs are only good if it's been stored properly. Has it always been kept at the manufacturers recommend temp range? Has it been exposed to sunlight, hot vehicle, kept in a bathroom (humidity). Lots of things can effect potency and drug integrity.
    Manufacturers make their expiration dates as far from manufacturing date as possible to increase profitability. If they could increase that time without loosing potency they would. So just bare that in mind.

7. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Good points!

A vet has given me unopened expired by a year CDT. Legally it cannot be used.
    A few years ago one of my does went into polio or listeria. My thiamine was two yrs past but it worked.

8. Little-Bits-N-Pieces

Little-Bits-N-Pieces Active Member

Apr 7, 2013
    CA
    The manufacturers normally list dates for them to expire a year after they are made, while a lot of the time, they are good way past the date. Like oxytocin, it's been used up to 14 years past the date when stored correctly and kept clean, and it was still just as strong.
    They put earlier dates on the bottles so they don't get sued and they sell more. Antibiotics on the other hand, should be replaced when they expire as they can hurt the liver and kidneys.

So things like BoSe are good a few months past the date, but for only two goats, it's better to just buy 2 doses from the vet.

9. LadySecret

LadySecret Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2013
    Western Oklahoma

As a hospital pharmacist, I handle hundreds of different medications daily. Manufacturers only giving their drugs one year from manufacturing date to expiration date is not the norm based on all the drugs I've handled. Most are two to three years. Also, pharmacies return expired meds to their manufacturers for a partial refund.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
  10. guessa1

guessa1 Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Thank you all for the info! That was very helpful.

11. Trickyroo

Trickyroo New Member

Sep 26, 2012
    New York
    So much to learn and remember ! Great thread !
    I remember doing the same thing when taking inventory at the vets office. We returned any item past expiration and we would receive credit towards our next order. I hate to toss a half bottle of medicine out , but I'm nervous using anything past a couple of months. Im very careful and actually a bit neurotic when i comes to that. I had a brand new bottle of BoSe and when giving my guys their doses i thought i had made the mistake of not changing a needle when wanting to add to a dose i already pulled. I wasnt sure if i put a new needle on and i was trying so hard to remember i got myself sick over it , and ordered a new bottle. I just couldnt bring myself to use that bottle again. It was drilled in my head when i first worked at the vets to always use new needles when introducing it into a bottle , no matter what and always to be careful not to put anything back into the bottle at all , once its pulled , thats it , you bought it. With that training , its hard or maybe impossible is a better word , not to follow sterile procedures.
    We used the three month rule with some medicines , anything past that , we weren't to use. When i get a new bottle of medicine , i take a sharpie pen and write the expiration date on the box and the bottle , so i can see it clearly , its easier to take stock that way IMO. I keep a list of the stock # and ex. dates in a book so i can see what i need to replace and what can wait and if there is a recall or whatever , its at my fingertips :) I guess that is a bit neurotic huh ? lol.

12. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Better safe than sorry. I only use new needles and never put anything back into the bottle.