The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We bought a bottle baby that was born Feb 11 and had plans to use him for our herd sire this year. Well that doesn't seem to be panning out- he is just not growing well- was a victim of coccidia and even though we have treated him twice he is still very stunted. My buck that was born in June is bigger than him. Anyhow I can not go without getting my does bred this fall so I am considering buying a buck, keeping him long enough to breed my does and selling him off. I found one on Craigslist that is a 3 year old and about 100 miles away.

The buck that was born in June is the buck I want to keep does from but I don't think he will get it done for this year. No one seems to want to breed around here!!

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is a sale barn close to us that specializes in goats and sheep one sale per week. There are a lot of Middle Eastern people that come from the big city to buy goats for their meat at each sale.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
your june buck can probably get the job done anything over 12 weeks should be fertile. as far as him wanting to you may need to hold the doe for him the first time. we have a buck born in april who has been ready to go for over a month. finally let him have a doe last week. trust me he got the job done on adoe that is much bigger than him.
where is your sale barn? i used to take ours to new holland pa when we lived near there. amazing amounts of goats!!

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would love that! I just don't ever see anything going on down there. I am terrible at heat detection in does and we do not have the "buck smell" down there either. Will a young buck get his stink on??
Our sale barn is in Palmyra Nebraska. They have a sheep and goat sale every Monday. Sometimes we go watch but have never bought or sold anything there except roosters. This sale barn will literally sell anything you take in there to sell- doesn't even have to be livestock

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
that buck will get his stink on unless his scent glands were burned when he was disbudded. our little guy only started to stink a couple of weeks ago, but he doesnt stink anywhere near as bad as our older dudes.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
My buck was born in February and does not smell at all. He is also very slow on what and where he needs to do lol. As for your question you pointed out the pros.....you get kids. There is cons there on your idea as well but its the same cons all of us take a chance on when buying a buck. Your idea here was actually something I was going to do when first starting with goats. Now your guy might have already done the job and that's why you have not seen anything going on. So its your call there is no right or wrong its a gamble. You buy this buck and he breeds all your girls then it was a good idea and if you can't get your money back for him then it was worth the loss to have bred does. Or you buy him the deed is done and nothing for him to do and you lost money for nothing. So if I was in your place and I really really wanted my does bred I would buy the buck and try not to be mad at myself if it didn't work out.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
The buck that was born in June is the buck I want to keep does from but I don't think he will get it done for this year. No one seems to want to breed around here!!
When are you wanting to breed? I know that 5 month olds can get the job done, I have 2 doelings in the pens to prove it. Unless you are talking about 10 head or more, it is entirely possible that your June buck could handle the job.

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
I think I would get the mature buck. Some does do need that extra stimulus (the stink and the buckly noises) to get them to start cycling. Especially if your girls are used to an older buck they may not even want to stand for a younger buck. Even if you get the older guy and find out all of your girls are already bred you should be able to resell him and get your money back. A lot of people wait until the middle to end of the season to start looking for a buck, you could even see if the people selling him would be willing to buy him back, or just lease him to you for a month or two.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I just don't ever see anything going on down there.
Just because you don't anything going on doesn't mean it isn't. I put 1 buck in with 22 does last May, and I can count on one hand the number of times I saw anything going on - they are all bred, though. I can't help but wonder if bucks prefer to do their business in the cool of night rather than the heat of day.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Could u borrow a nature buck or rent his services from a nearby trusted goat farmer? Just another option instead of buying and trying to sell a buck.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When are you wanting to breed? I know that 5 month olds can get the job done, I have 2 doelings in the pens to prove it. Unless you are talking about 10 head or more, it is entirely possible that your June buck could handle the job.
I am wanting them bred any time now. I have him in with only 3 does right now and my stunted buckling. One of the does will be a second freshener that I bought in milk and was supposed to be bred (but wasn't) last fall. The other two are long yearlings. They have all been together since my buckling was born June 10th. When I weaned him I took the does along to the new pen as well.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Could u borrow a nature buck or rent his services from a nearby trusted goat farmer? Just another option instead of buying and trying to sell a buck.
OH HOW I WOULD LOVE TO. But there are no other dairy goat people around and just to freshen them I know I could use a meat buck but that just seems almost like a waste of a year and a good animal.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
. Now your guy might have already done the job and that's why you have not seen anything going on.
So maybe (HOPEFULLY) this is true! Which lead me to snap some pics last night at chores time. Could I get some opinions on these pooches??

Attachments

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There does not seem to be any udder development in either of the yearling does and it is hard to tell with the second freshener as she has a very loose udder all the time even when dry.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
How long ago were they bred? Usually you need to wait 3 months to tell from a pooch pic, and 4 months or so to go by udder development.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Ask goat hiker , but i think the 1st one is bred, not sure about the other one. BUT IF YOU REALLY WANT DOELINGS FROM THE JUNE BUCK YOU MAY ALREDAY HAVE THAT DONE. IF NOT HE WILL SHORTLY. I WOULDNT WASTE MY MONEY ON A BUCK YOU DONT REALLY WANT. THAT'S MY OPINION!!

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ask goat hiker , but i think the 1st one is bred, not sure about the other one. BUT IF YOU REALLY WANT DOELINGS FROM THE JUNE BUCK YOU MAY ALREDAY HAVE THAT DONE. IF NOT HE WILL SHORTLY. I WOULDNT WASTE MY MONEY ON A BUCK YOU DONT REALLY WANT. THAT'S MY OPINION!!
Your right. I guess I need to quit being anal and just be patient. My husband and my dad remind me every weekend that I had two open does this spring. Just don't want that to happen again next year or we will have to sell them off.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
The last one looks like she could be a little messy on the tail but I can't tell for sure. Another thing to think of that you could do is send blood in. I don't know how far along they need to be or how much it is I have only read of people on here doing it but maybe someone can send you in the right way on that.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts