Short trip and milking

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by suzanne, May 31, 2010.

1. suzanne

suzanne New Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Southwest Washington
    Hello,

I will be gone for three days near the end of June. I am currently milking my FF Nigerian doe once daily. I retained one of her kids and the kid is still nursing during the day. I separate them at night and milk the doe in the morning. Can I leave my doe for three days without milking her and be able to milk her when I return? I don't have anyone I know that milks goats that could do it for me when I am gone. She is not the easiest goat to milk (still kind of fidgety on the stand although much better than initially) and I am not sure if it would be worth it to try to teach my neighbor to milk her, if I even can. What do you think? Do I need to find someone to milk her for the three days so I don't come back to a dried up doe?
    Suzanne

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I would just leave the kid on mom all the time. You may need to milk mom twice a day to get her milk production back up a bit but after 3 days not much production should be lost. Ive done this before

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I agree, leave her kid with her..I've done the same before with no drop in production.

4. suzanne

suzanne New Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Southwest Washington
    Thanks for the input, I'll do it!