Shortening Farm Name for Registries, Help Please!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by HollowbeadRanch, Jan 14, 2009.

1. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    I noticed in another post that you can't have over so many characters in the kids full registered name... Why I hadn't already thought of this, I HAVE NO CLUE!!! :GAAH: Anyways, my Ranch name of course is Hollowbead Ranch which is 15 characters if you don't count the space! How many characters can you have when registering a kid with the AGS or ADGA?? Do you think I need to come up with some sort of abbreviation for my herd name?? Like maybe HBR or something :shrug: I am trying to get everything in order for my rebuild so I don't have quit as much to stress about when I start purchasing and picking up my goats. What do you think I should do about the name?? Any advice/opinions would be greatly appreciated :grouphug:

2. PiccoloGoat

PiccoloGoat goat girl x0x0

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    if you could abbreviate i would do HBRanch or HBR

3. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    30 spaces are allowed for naming.

What about just plain Hollowbead? HBR sounds nice too :)

4. HollowbeadRanch

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Thanks! Both are very good ideas! I hadn't even thought about just Hollowbead :doh: That would leave 20 characters for kids names... do you think that is plenty?

5. PiccoloGoat

PiccoloGoat goat girl x0x0

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    yeah i think 20 is good.

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    my herd name is End of the Line and thats 15 of the 30 spaces

You count space too so yah I would remove the Ranch and just have it as Hollowbead :D

7. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    That's the annoying thing about the British Goat Society.

You pay £40 to register a prefix - up to 10 letters, no spaces allowed
    and you pay £15 per kid to register - up to 10 letters if you have a prefix, or 12 letters if you dont, once again, no spaces allowed

Grrrrr I like the US system WAY better!!!

I dont have a prefix - cant afford £40, so I just commence all my goats' names with HH (being the initials of my house name, H... House - sorry, aint giving out my address :wink: )

So I have HHHarmony, HHChione, HHIsolde, etc. Ok those the only ones I have so far =]

LW

8. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Yeah, I think Hollowbead is cool. HBR is a neat one too. Or HollowbeadRanch. That still leaves a lot of space for the names.

9. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    my goats are all named
    Heavenly Havens Angelic _____________
    which is 24 (you have to count spaces) and only leaves me 11 but TMGR and MDGA allow 35 characters
    i have
    Lil Abner
    Angels Wing
    Aife Hope
    AubryLouise
    so if you keep
    Hollowbead Ranch
    that is 17 with spaces and leaves you 13 you can do alot with 13 characters if you use your imagination

10. HollowbeadRanch

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    hhhhhhmmmmmmm....... decisions decisions.... Ok, well I think my favs are Hollowbead, HollowbeadRanch, and HBR.. which one you ya'll like best?? I want something that will look really nice on the papers! :wink:

11. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    i like hollowbead ,, sounds very nice

12. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I think I like HollowbeadRanch the best. Good luck with whatever you choose! They all are very nice!

13. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I shortened mine to SLR Minis for Sunset Lake Ranch..... just a thought

14. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN

I like Hollowbead, mine is Little Wishes and I have no problem having enough space left for names.

15. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I like Hollowbead...plenty of spaces for the name and it looks good too. Mine's "Dollys Acre"......and anything goes well with that.

16. HollowbeadRanch

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Thank you everyone for all of the help!!! I have still got a few months before I have to make a definite decision, but right now I am kinda leaning towards HBR (this one is Hubby's pick and the farm name was kinda passed down from his Grandpaw...). :thumb: I think it will sound good with most all names AND it will leave me with 27 characters to play with for kids names.... what do you think?? Of course nothing is written in stone, that was just Hubby's pick when I showed him the choices :wink:

17. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    Best thing about HBR is you have lots of spaces left for names. I am always having to abbreviate words because I run out of spaces. You won't have that problem. :thumbup:

18. HollowbeadRanch

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    That's what I was thinking... it really leaves me plenty of room to pick whatever names I like (within reason) :greengrin: And I have always liked the initials idea... like the old west or something... LOL! :shades:

19. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I'm not partial to Initials but of course its your herd name

remember it isnt just how you name kids but are referred to as well.