The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I need some advice.

I am about a year into owning goats (Nigerians). We have a small herd of 3 yearlings and 2 three year old does that we haven't had for very long. We got the does to breed but I am having second thoughts because the one is very skiddish. We were hoping she'd warm up as the other goats are very friendly, but she wants nothing to do with us even after 3 months. She is catachable, but it is quite a challenge and every time she is caught, she's even harder to catch the next time. I'm concerned that if she gets bred I won't be able to monitor/handle her as needed, especially during kidding. If she needs help I worry that having people around touching her will cause stress and make things worse. We were told that she's kidded twice before and had no problems, but the woman we bought her from was very hands off with her goats (both literally and figuratively) so it makes me nervous.

I'm curious what people think about breeding her. Am I overreacting? Or will pregnancy be too stressful/dangerous for her if she is hard to handle? Also, If i do breed her what is the best way to socialize the kids to make sure they're people friendly (besides strictly bottle feeding)?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
I had a couple of Spanish does that were not touched before I bought them. I worked :& worked with them. My other boer girls were mellow and so were my kikos. But after they were bred they calmed down alot. During kidding I sat right there with them..talked and pet them. Kept them calm and helped with the cleaning and attaching that first suckle. The kidds were calm & easy to be around. Both does after kidding were very different and friendly. They finally trusted me. So I would say yes. It just takes time.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
A lot of times just you being there for the birth and letting her lick delivery goo off your hands can completely change their attitude and make them loving. You sort of get adopted like you’re one of her kids.
I’ve had two like that and it was amazing. Mine were also from a hands off breeder.

For right now just sitting with her around and letting her get used to you being there in a non threatening way will go a long way to taming her down. After a while she’ll come closer, don’t reach or grab just talk to her or silly as it sounds read a book out loud. Then she’ll be used to your voice. After she’s used to that offer her some grain or treat in a shallow pan each day moving it a bit closer till she’s eating almost next to you. Then offer it out of your hand. Still no grabbing. After a few days of that pet her sides, stay away from her neck and face....slowly over a period of time get her used to all over touching. I know there’s hoof trims and maintenance and it will set you back a bit but trust will come quicker if you start slow and cautious till trust is earned.
Best of luck and welcome to TGS!

·
Registered
485 Posts
I bought a super skiddish doe already bred. She just had her babies. Before I couldn't touch her at all. Now since I have to be in there to help the kids she's letting me pet her and such too. It did suck tho before I couldn't touch her to feel ligaments or anything and I didn't think it was worth stressing her out so it was a guessing game waiting for the babies

1 - 6 of 6 Posts