The Goat Spot Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts
Discussion starter · #22 ·
We have never spoken of that moment since. Mostly because I can't stop laughing and he gets all flustered because he can't work out if I did it deliberately. My first thought was "what if this can kill him". Got worried for a few seconds then thought "well at least I'll know not to give it to my pets again". He says I'm heartless.
Oh that is good! :haha:I did not know that you could have pet kangaroos in Australia.

I also do vaccinations myself. It's scary at first but you can do it. And having a vet show you the first time is the best thing you can do. I usually do that with everything just to make sure I'm doing things correctly. But I will say that when you start to give a goat a shot, don't hesitate and get all wishy-washy. If you have them cornered, tied up, or whatever method you use to restrain them for this, as soon as the needle pokes the skin they're going to try to bolt so there's no time for hesitation. (that's my experience anyway) I have to corner mine and hold them between my knees like I'm riding the goat, but I already have my prepared syringe and needle open, in hand, and ready to go so 10 seconds after they're caught, it's done and over and I grab another prepared syringe and move on to the next goat. Another thing is please be careful not to stick yourself. It's easy to do when you 'tent' the skin to give the shot. The only other thing I can think of is if you're not used to preparing the syringe, have the vet show you that too or watch some good videos. It always takes me a bit of time to make sure there are no air bubbles in the syringes but I get it right eventually. I know---this sounds terrible but it's not. It's a real money saver and a great experience to know how to do this. If your goats are ever sick and need other shots, you'll be comfortable doing it yourself. One of mine last year needed a shot of Banamine every day for a week (vets orders). She gave him the first one since she was there to see him and left me 5 more to do one each day. I was very glad I already knew how to give them.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.