Should I accept payment now or wait?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by K-Ro, Aug 17, 2008.

1. K-Ro

K-Ro New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    I need some advice if possible. I have a lady who wants to purchase two of my does and another item I have for sale. She wants me to breed the girls before she picks them up. They have not cycled yet but should start pretty soon, I think. My questions is, she is offering to pay me in full now and then whenever the girls are bred she will come pick them up and the other item she says she wants, I will hold the girls for at least 21-25 days after breeding to make sure they settled - so I am looking at close to 2 months before they leave here.

In the past I have accepted payments over months and payment in full at pick up, just never had anyone offer to pay in full before hand. She lives about 100 miles from me so has only seen them via pictures and website. So do I accept full payment now or tell her only half now and the rest at pick up?

It is not a problem for me to hold the girls for a couple months, I don't mind at all. I was just wondering about taking the money about 2 months in advance.

So what are your thoughts?
  2. cjpup

cjpup New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    I would ask her to put down a deposit (half or whatever you want) first and then pay the rest at pick up. God Forbid one of your girls has an unfortunant accident or dies, you will need to pay everything back to her. I would tell her its a nonrefundable deposit as well.

If you need the money like we do, you will spend it right away into whatever you need to. If you spend it all and something happends and the lady backs out of the deal, you are gonna have some trouble. With a non-refundable deposit, you dont have this issue.

2 months is a very very long long time and anything can happen in that time. THis is just how we do our buissness, it works differently for different people.

I hope this helps a little.

PS: GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING!!! This way you will have proof of the deal if the lady decides to back out and wants her money back.

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I have had one person pay in full before pickup. I like to do half down then the other half upon pickup. I say it's non refundable,,,then send a receipt through the mail. 2 copies,,,they sign a copy and send it back then they keep their copy. So that way if we have problems you can refer to the receipt and have it as evidence if something goes wrong and also on the receipt I put...."Buyer has received a copy of this receipt....ect. ect. ect....sign below" That way your copy will say you both have received it and the buyer signed it so no way they can back out or do something dumb.

Good luck!!!
  4. K-Ro

K-Ro New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    That's why I am asking, is because I know as soon as I get the money it's going for bills and feed.

So I guess what I can do is have her pay half down for the goats as a non-refundable deposit and in full for the other item (because that I am not holding unless it's paid for in full and once it's paid for it's hers).

Sounds odd asking about how to accept money, geez. I just don't want problems later on, if she changes her mind.

KW Farms would you send me a copy of what you use for receipts, if you don't mind me using it and changing it?
  5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    when I received in an infull check for a kid this year I told the lady that if she backed out then I would hold half the money as the deposit (non refundable) and the other half I would return to her.

now in your case you can tell her whatever you want, but be certain that she knows that at least some of it (or all of it) is non refundable.

Also is she expecting you to breed them for free? or is she paying for that?

If she purchases them in full now then they belong to her and all feed and hay is on her, so she will need to pay you board for the time they are there waiting to be bred. -- think of it as if she paid for them and brought them back to be serviced. And she should pay for the breeding - unless their purchase price includes breeding.

As to the deposit -- then she wouldnt pay board and would still need to pay for the breeding (unless again the purchase price includes a breeding).

Make up a contract, sign it, mail her two copies and have her send one back to you signed by her.

IF she is leary of sending money before a deposit receipt make up the receipt/agreement send it and have her send your copy back with the check.

Make sure on the agreement you have a place for her to give you her number and address just in case something bad comes up. You will want to be able to track her down. (speaking from experience)
  6. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I receive payment in full often for goats. Normally they're goats that are being met to pick-up. So they don't come all the way here. I too have paid for goats in advance before meeting to pick them up. Some people pay deposits and then pay off at pick-up. I've had quite a few people send more than I require for deposit and I do the same often myself.

So its up to you.
  7. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Sure! Couldn't get my computer to download it on here so I copied and pasted...

KW Farms
    your addresss
    phone #

KW Farms acknowledges payment from buyers name, the sum of "$$$$" paid by check # ..... This payment is for a non refundable partial payment of the purchase price for ....... This deposit may only be returned to the prospective purchaser at seller's discretion. The full balance of "$$$$" in *cash is due upon pick up of goats.This deposit will be refunded in the event of injury, sickness, or death to the goat(s).

Purchase price: "$$$"
    Description of goat(s): color, breed, etc.
    Discount: ....

...............signature line....................
    Seller's Signature
    your name:
    your address, printed on paper:

By my signature, I acknowledge that I received a copy of this receipt.

...............signature line......................
    Purchaser Signature

Buyer's name:

Buyer's address:
  8. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Also,,,feel use it and change it to match your requirements. I kinda copied stuff out of someone elses receipt a long time ago to make this one for our goats :oops: But works! :D
  9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    there is never anything new under the sun, just modified and adapted. :D
  10. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
  11. K-Ro

K-Ro New Member

Oct 13, 2007
  12. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    I havent read all the posts yet. Sounds like this lady is serious about buying those 2 does. Take the money, put it away if theres any change in plans.
    When I bought my first goats I came with cash. It was a couple of months before I could pick them up because Breeding season was coming and I had said I wanted bred does. And it was a 3-4 hr trip each way.
    I had someone put a $50 deposit on a doe a couple yrs ago...she never did come back or call even tho I had tried to get back in touch with her. More than once. Turns out someone else asked what I had available and several months later this doe went home with them.

Now that Ive read all the posts. Thats what Im afraid of too...spending the money before pick up time.
    I did not pay for my goats till after breeding when I picked them up. She took a chance on me for sure!! She did not charge me for room & board. But Ill tell you what. Her farm name is on that first crop of kids and one of them was a Gr Ch last yr!!
  13. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    It is totally up to you, but you said as soon as you accept all the money something would happen. Well if she wants to pay you for them and something happens that is out of your hands. It sounds like she really wants them and she wants to make sure you are going to keep them for her.

Now is she paying more for the breeding and the extra long stay?

I have everyone sign a form (when they are at my place for breeding) that says that is something was to happen to their animals while at my location i am not to be held responsible for it and they will pay any and all vet bills if they are to accrue.

I say that in my contract because I know of a lady that new she was taking a goat over to a breeders hows that was sick ( I do not know the details). Well when it dies at the breeders house she tried to sue her for the loss of her doe that was sick in the first place. Now I do not take sick goats but you never know. I try to cover my rear at all times. People are just always nice out there. Plus you never know if a Coyote comes or stray dogs.