The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last year I got a Nigerian doe. She was (and still is) very obese. Her owner before the owner I got her from must have really, REALLY over fed her, she's so huge, she got fat deposits in her udder :mad: Here she gets no Alfalfa, no grain, just browse, minerals, and water, plus a few (healthy) treats every now and then. She's still fat. :scratch:

Anyways, a week or two ago, I noticed that she and her udder were getting quite a bit bigger, she was getting tired easier, etc. So while trimming hooves today, I figured I would try and milk her to see if she's in milk. Well she is, and it's not clear, either, it's MILK! I can still pinch her udder, can't really feel any ligs though because she is so overweight. But I'm guessing she's pregnant? Haven't seen her come into heat, maybe a couple times but it was short. I'm guessing IF she IS pregnant, she has 2-3 weeks left.

But I want to know, is there anything I should be worried about with her being SO fat?

·
Super Moderator
59,751 Posts
Don't milk her anymore. I would just be there for the birth. She could have some dystocia complications. But generally it should be fine.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Karen- I just did one squirt to see if I could get anything to see if she even was in milk.

Pam- We aren't feeding her anything, she just gets all the browse she could ever need up in the pasture.

Thanks guys, I'll let you know how it goes...

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, Liz, what's the dosage on that?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts