Should I be concerned?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Froggy, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Froggy

Froggy New Member

Feb 26, 2011
    These past couple days, I've noticed something's up with my yearling nigerianx wether. At least I think so.
    In the morning, my goats always look a kinda thin because they haven't eaten much yet, but by noon or so, they've started getting big ''food bellies''. Only lately my wether hasn't. By the end of the day he has a little round, but not like usual; Ordinarily by mid-afternoon he looks like he is pregnant! Now he looks so thin...
    He's been eating hay & minimal forage over the winter...no grain. Is it because the hay is not providing enough for him?
    I checked his eye-lids for worms...they're a normal pink...he's acting normal...
    any ideas what might be going on?

Thank you,

Froggy

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    DO you have out free choice baking soda and loose minerals for goats?

they are bloaty... if they don't want to eat the baking soda.. you can put a pinch in their mouths....or mix a little with water and syringe feed it to them... :wink:

3. Froggy

Froggy New Member

Feb 26, 2011
    they have free-choice loose minerals, and I just started giving baking soda.
    he still looks thin, perhaps even thinner than before.... :sigh: I'm getting worried because I've got 4 does due soon, so i'll be busy, and I really wish I didn't have a possibly sick goat on my hands...

would giving him plain yogurt help? (I read that somewhere for helping the digestive system?)
    :shrug:
    nobody else looks ''gaunt''/unfed....so to speak...

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Get a fecal done for worms and cocci...

Yogurt is good to give....it is good for the rumen... :wink: