The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My does should be kidding any day now. They are bagging up and getting a little puffy in their backside. One has a small amount of light green discharge. This is my first know doing experience so I'm not sure if the color is ok. I will take a pic in a moment and post it. Thanks

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Very likely just the mucus plug, which they can lose a month before they kid. They look like they need to bag up a bit more still.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very likely just the mucus plug, which they can lose a month before they kid. They look like they need to bag up a bit more still.
Thank you, they are both first time fresheners. Im excited for my first kidding experience

·
Super Moderator
58,223 Posts
Their udders aren't very full. While they can bag up at the last minute, from the udder size they look like they have a ways to go.

·
14,615 Posts
Yep, I agree with Karen and Ranger, they can discharge off & on for awhile & drive you nuts, But when you see amber goo along with a full udder she will be ready to go.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all! So maybe another few weeks? I wasn't sure how big their udders would get for first fresheners. Very new to the kidding game. Also should I just purchase a disbudding iron and do it myself? The videos on how to make it look easy. Or should I take them to a vet after they are about a week old and have a pro do it?

·
Registered
815 Posts
It isn't as easy (to me) as a video shows. Also we have found the boys need done earlier than a week. When we got our ND - we watched someone else do it and even though I had goats years ago I had the vet come out and do it (he was well experienced) and showed my husband the best way. I saw one video that I felt the person way overdid the job. Made me sick.
You also develop your own method to some extent. We always put a cold cloth on the burn when done and I give them a few drops of Owe Eze (from Molly's) and put a healing cream on the burn area.
Don't know if it helps them or helps me. I hate that job.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update- I'm so stumped on when these girls are due! This is Jo. I believe that she is further along than Stella my other doe. The discharge seems to come and go for the last 25 days. Her udder is much bigger now ( about 3x the size) than 25 days ago. Will it really get much bigger as a first time freshener? I know this is redundant but is this little momma getting close? ImageUploadedByGoat Forum1459355498.855857.jpg

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts