The Goat Spot Forum banner

How many of you vaccinate your goats with CDT followed by a booster?

• I vaccinate my goats only

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I vaccinate my goats and give a follow up booster

• I do not vaccinate my goats with the CDT vaccine

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't like to create a lot of threads and draw attention away from other, more urgent threads, but I'm worried. Today, one of my goats got cut on metal and is unvaccinated. Before you yell at me for this, know I was going to call the vet any day now to ask about vaccinating. I have not other reasons for worry other than two cuts, not very deep, maybe a few millimeters, but should I be worried about tetanus?

·
Registered
415 Posts
There will be no yell at you on here ;) and you do not need to explain yourself.
You should be fine on the tetanus as long as it’s not too deep. Tetani Bacteria can not grow if It is exposed to oxygen, so not being deep your goat should be fine. If it’s deeper then you are thinking though it wouldn’t hurt to get a shot of tetanus antitoxin in her.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There will be no yell at you on here ;) and you do not need to explain yourself.
You should be fine on the tetanus as long as it’s not too deep. Tetani Bacteria can not grow if It is exposed to oxygen, so not being deep your goat should be fine. If it’s deeper then you are thinking though it wouldn’t hurt to get a shot of tetanus antitoxin in her.
I was sawing some pine tree branches and my goat was climbing to see it, so I lowered it and he started rubbing his horns on it, and I guess he got cut. I tried to put peroxide on it but he wasn't having that! How long would you say is too deep, or deep enough for concern? I will post a picture of the saw later, it was pretty dull.

·
Registered
29,878 Posts
Good advice. Just so you know, not everyone vaccinate. I stopped years ago. I do keep tetanus antitoxin on hand for situations like this. If its a puncture and not a superficial cut then definitely needs tetanus antitoxin. Since we can not see the wound you could give T. A for peace of mind. A full vile (5cc) for prevention.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good advice. Just so you know, not everyone vaccinate. I stopped years ago. I do keep tetanus antitoxin on hand for situations like this. If its a puncture and not a superficial cut then definitely needs tetanus antitoxin. Since we can not see the wound you could give T. A for peace of mind. A full vile (5cc) for prevention.
Can I ask why you don't vaccinate?

How of a window do I have for T.A. I don't have any on hand, and I've never given a shot before? I was going to have the vet do the first one so I could watch and learn.

·
Registered
29,878 Posts
We actually found we had more deaths from rumen issue when we vaccinated with CD&T. After loosing a goat after getting sick twice i just stopped.. saw no need. I do keep tetanus antitoxin and cd antitoxin on hand at all times.. We also went more natural with using herbs and ess. Oils snd have great success here both farm and family. So for us it works.
Tetanus can take weeks to show signs. I would try to grab a vile tomorrow. Needs to be antitoxin not a toxoid. While shots can be intimidating they are not hard. The TA does not sting. So that is good for first timer. Google a few videos for a quick lesson. I prefer to give where the neck meets the body in that little dip. Can often get a good tent there

·
Registered
29,878 Posts
That is it. I have never had a reaction to tetanus antitoxin here but keeping epinephrine syringe ready is always a Good idea for any injectable meds. If you don't have it a large dose of Benadryl can help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts