Should I be worried

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by dobe627, Nov 28, 2010.

1. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA
    First let me say hi everyone-its been awhile. But should be on more now-got rid of dial up finally and got hispeed. Anyway, I am not sure that something is wrong and wanted to run it by all of you for thoughts. My gut tells me somethings not right thats why I am here. Monday night Maddie wasn't totally acting like she was in labor ( it was day 148) my gut told me to stay but I went to agility class since she was only acting a little wierd. She fought going in the barn ( which is usuall for her) so I let her out with everyone else. Well as I am coming down the driveway there she layed- kid was stuck( head and 1 leg out) I got him out safely( and what a cutie) Got Maddie and the now named Rascal to the barn. Both looked great. He was up and eating in no time. By the time I got dogs put away and everything she had cleaned everything up( afterbirth had been hanging and was gone). She didn't act like she was in labor or anything( she was huge thought there were more) gave her hay, warm mollasses water she ate and all has been great until last night. I was feeding and noticed her shaking- I just thought it was cuz I was yelling at another pen to stop fighting from across the barn. Later took her temp cuz still shaking it was 100.8. Got her more warm water mixture. She drank a little. Her color is good. UTD on worming and cdt. No discharge. He's drinking. This am temp was 100.5. Gave her a shot (3ml) of vit b as it doesn't look like she touched her hay. Just took temp101.2. She ate animal crackers and fruit loops and some raisens. But still hasn't touched her hay( has 2 choices). So there's the dilema. Anyone think I should do more?

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    treat for milk fever....put a heat lamp out for her until she gets better....make sure she can move away from it if she gets to hot.... :hug:

Is she still open....wash up really good....so you can go in and check to see...... if there are anymore kids.....then put a bolus down her ....after you are done....or if you know how to bounce her to check for babies.....

3. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA
    How should I treat that? There is a heat lamp on but she won't go under it( I even moved it a few times). I don't think she is still open( it looks tight and very clean back there) I did try to bounce her but she kept going after me( she's my bitchiest goat)

4. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Hope this helps... it is a older link about milk fever and what is used .....
    viewtopic.php?f=26&t=6266&start=15

As for the doe being a grouch...tie her up and then try to bounce her...... :wink:

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I would give this doe 30ccs of calcium

note it does cause a bit of a burning sensation to their throat so they dont like it and I like to follow up the calcium with water to help flush the esophagus.

Repeat the calcium if she needs more the following day.

TSC carries a calcium drench but Cal-C-Fresh works as does CMPK gel

6. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA
    I have been doing tums everyday (3) as told by an older goat person years ago. She's also gotten banna everyday for past few days. Will call vet in am if can't get the items mentioned. I do have calcium gluconate?

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    tums dont always have enough calcium -- really I have dealt with this before and the calcium drench is awesome in bringing them right back. I have saved many a doe with calcium after kidding, wont ever be without it

8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California