Should I breed her again?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by AlaskaBoers, Jan 31, 2010.

1. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    well. Narcissus is looking good now, she just needs to gain the weight back from kidding and take a good, long break.

but I'll eventually come to the issue of breeding her. should I do it? She's had 3 healthy kiddings where the kids were presented properly, and she nursed them i believe . but this year, one kid was breech, and the other was like playing twister or something :roll: and her udder is...well, not pretty, one enlarged teat that a kid could never nurse and two teats that dont milk almost at all. would I be better off selling her? and use the money to bring up the toth buck (just recently spent ALOT on feed for those stinkin pigs!!!)

but...shes one of my fullbloods...tough desicion. and i dont know how much i could get for a doe with a crap udder. :shrug:

2. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Katrina- Personally I would sell her but since she is a boer if she produces nice meaty kids and has a good temperment keeping her would be ok....its really up to you. I know that really didnt help but it all depends how is she confirmation wise other than her udder?

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Hmm, that is a tough one. To be honest I am really torn. I think though that I might just give her another chance and breed her again. See if you can pick her weight up and in good condition before she's bred again. If you are prepared and able to bottle raise kids then that would be great, otherwise it might just be a big waste of $$ to keep her.

4. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    Personally-I would consider selling her unless you particularly love her kids- as far as price- she would be sold for about meat price-Which is sad- It all depends on how attached you are to her-You can always bottle feed the kids if you decide to keep her- "story"-i bought a doe like that for $50-The man paid $5,000 for her 2 years before-She is the one that kidded our nicest kid this year-her daddy is Eggsorcist*ennobled-One of her teats is totally huge-but he can nurse on one side-hence the warning of the man I bought her from saying she couldn't...her kids are worth me keeping her-even if I do have to bottle-feed them...

5. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    yeah...

her kids are OK. they werent very big, short bodied. like the dam. I hate bottlefeeding, not because I dont have time, its just that it always seems to end terribly. :( If I bred her to the best buck I could find up here next season, then I'll keep her and sell the kids as a few days old.? seemed to work well this time, just have a buyer ready to come on the a day or so after theyre born. and if she does have milk and an ok udder, then I'll keep them and dam raise

I dont know what it is about bottle feeding...our neighbors bottle feed just like i do, and it goes awesome for them. but they do use goats milk.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    If you don't like her offspring...and she has a udder problem that isn't going to get better.....I would maybe think about selling her.... bottle feeding is a pain.....it sounds like ...you are not happy with her ..all the way around........ :hug:
    I know how her being a FB ....can make it more difficult... in your decision......... :hug:

7. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.

I see where you are coming from-Selling the kids at a few days old won't bring much money-Will it suffice you feeing her the whole time she is bred to do this? We use doe's match milk replacer and it works great-It does take lots of time though, and the ONLY reason I have the time is that I am on maternity leave-If I were still working-It would be a mess!