The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay....so I probably already know the answer to this question deep inside, but I have to have a second (or third) opinion.
Olive is my favorite doe, and I've been thinking about breeding her one last time, but have a few concerns...

She has kidded 3times:
1st time unassisted; single buckling.
2nd, assisted, single buckling (1 leg first, other somewhat bent behind)
3rd twin bucks assisted (1st normal, then she stopped pushing, and with much prodding, 45 minutes later she delivered a very blue and somewhat limp baby2#)
All she raised successfully.

Her health issues:
~her hind legs are not the best I've seen on a goat. During her twin pregnancy, she was carrying so much weight, that she started tripping and having a few issues.
~She doesn't gain her condition back very quickly after kidding. (Is super, super skinny after kidding--always. Free choice hay and grain supplements)
~She is always lean (maybe too much?), even when healthy.
~She had a issue in March with stiffness, inability to walk; weight loss. She is just now getting back to a healthy weight, even of pasture. (She did not kid this year)

What do you think?
What feeds could I use to help her keep better condition? She's not a sickly goat generally speaking; she's actually one of my more parasite-tolerant goats.

Any tips/advice appreciated.

Thank you,

Froggy

·
Registered
49 Posts
If she were my goat I wouldn't breed her. Especially if she is your favorite. She seems to have too many issues. If you can keep her as just a pet, then that is what I would do.

·
1,132 Posts
How old is she? If she were mine I wouldn't breed again. I would be too worried about not being there for the birth and losing her and her kids.
Just curious though. Do you think her inability to walk while carrying twins and her difficulty kidding could be caused by a calcium or mineral deficiency?

·
14,615 Posts
So she was carrying a full load when she was sort of tripping> Did she appear to be walking on eggshells?
If so she might have been calcium deficient.
She could proabably use BoSe.
What kind of hay?
What is she getting for loose minerals? Not enough minerals with high copper can contribute to poor uterine condition: muscle tone to move kids into position & smooth delivery.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She will be 6years old in December. Over the winter the goats were mostly on orchard grass/timothy mix. Now they're on mixed pasture (unfortunately, not the best pasture--it's pretty dry). I've been trying to let them browse in the woods a couple hours everyday though. She has access to loose minerals also, but I guess she could use more copper.

Any particular types of supplements you recommend?

I will probably keep her as a pet. I'm hoping to sell or butcher 8 goats by the fall (school)...just wanted a real purpose to keep the goats on a little longer--and another kidding would do that...but it's probably not the best choice...

·
4-H Secretary for Life ^.^
985 Posts
Since she is six, you could breed her again but I wouldn't recommend it, even if she is your favorite.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts