Should I breed the doe I have for sale?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Dunfactor, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Dunfactor

Dunfactor New Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Hello,

I have a what would you do question for you all and would love opinions on what I should do. My grade Nigerian doe that I have listed for sale is currently in heat. I am trying to decide if I should breed her and offer her as a family milker hopefully bred for June kids. Or if I should offer her unbred with the option of breeding to my Nigi buck in case someone was looking for a pet. I have started training her to the milk stand either way.

I am not in a hurry to sell her but my goat space in the barn is fairly limited and would love to retain a doeling or two from my registered girls if they decide to give me doelings.

Thanks!
    Tracy

2. GotmygoatMTJ

GotmygoatMTJ New Member

Well, anytime we sell a doe, we offer her open or bred to a buck of their choice (on our farm of course). If the buyer chooses for the doe to be bred we ALWAYS get a nonrefundable deposit on the goat so we know they won't back out. Before that we tell them that its not 100% positive that the doe took. We charge $25.00 extra onto the original price if they want the doe bred. :)

3. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I guess it would depend on what sells well in your area. People are really getting into having their own milk around here so I would probably breed her if she was at my place.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I find that alot of buyers.... want bred Does here in my area.... as it is kinda like a packaged deal..... I guess... :wink: But that is very rare that I sell preggo Does...cause they produce so well........ hard to let them go... :thumb:

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I have found, in this area, that my goats sell alot easier if bred. I just add the breeding fee into the asking price

6. Riot_My_Love

Riot_My_Love New Member

Does normally sell better if they are bred to an exceptional buck.

7. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I would breed her for sure. Most buyers don't mind or like a doe they purchase to be bred. Just add on a little extra to her purchase price.

One issue with leaving her open is...if you can't/don't sell her until later this year... how is she going to pay for herself? She won't be in milk, she won't have kids to sell so it seems pretty pointless to me to not get her bred. Just my 2 cents. ;)

8. Dunfactor

Dunfactor New Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Thank you all so much for the advice. :greengrin: I really appreciate it.

It sounds like the consensis is that it is best to breed her. By the time I got home from work yesterday, she was out of standing heat. So no go this time around. Oh well, that will give me time to have her CAE tested along with the rest of my herd. It would be best to be 100% sure before she is bred after thinking more on the issue. I just saw her in heat, know that I am selling her, and started wondering if I should go ahead and breed her.

Ugh, all of the CAE testing posts lately make me even more nervous about CAE. All of my other breeding stock was raised on strict CAE prevention/bottle fed but she was one of my first goats and dam raised. I would rather know for sure before breeding her anyway. I definately would not want to be passing a problem on.

KW, good point. :greengrin: I am used to putting a lot of thought into breeding my mares or not in a particular year and was transferring that over to this doe. :p

This is the doe in question in case you all want to see her. :) Who can say no to goatie pics? :wink:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Younger pic.
    [​IMG]

Riot_My_Love, oh I agree. She is grade though so she will get the buck I own. :wink: :greengrin: He is young but has some nice milking lines behind him and his type is strong in the areas where she could use help (higher wider escutcheon and tighter toes for example).

This is the buck in question.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Young pic that shows his width.
    [​IMG]

My buck is Olson Acres Zoot Suit Riot. Polled broken brown buckskin. He is sired by Dragonfly L Mr. Irresistable *S out of Wood Bridge Too Fancy.

Irresistable is by Dragonfly TA Lancelot du Lac (Stonewall's Turner
    Ashby 'E' x ARMCH Flat Rocks Here For the Party *D 'E' 91.1 ") out
    of Twin Creeks AH Chiaroscuro 3*D 'E' 91.0 AR LA VEEE 90 (PGCH/MCH
    Little Rascals American Hero x MCH Twin Creeks BW Fantasea 2*D)
    Party and Chiaroscuro
    http://dragonfly.jmkarohl.com/pages/seniordoes2.html

Irresistable http://www.olsonacres.com/Irresistable%20page.htm

Fancy is by CH Rosasharn UMT Pippin *S *B ((ARMCH Rosasharn's Under My Thumb +*S 'E' x ARMCH/GCH Rosasharn's TL Arwen 8*D, 2*M 'VEEE' 90) and out of CH Wood Bridge Farm Well Honeybun (Buttin' Heads Sonic Hero x CH Sugar Creek PT Ring-Neck-Dove *D).
    (Honeybun) http://www.woodbridgefarm.org/seniordoes2.html
    (Pippin) http://woodbridgefarm.org/herdsire.html

Fancy http://www.olsonacres.com/Fancy%20page.htm

Thanks!
    Tracy

9. milk and honey

milk and honey Senior Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Everett, WA
    They are both Gorgeous! I know nothing about showing etc... just started in finding a couple of nigi does for myself to have and to hold... and milk... but I DO know what pretty is! They have great colors!
    Love them.

10. Dunfactor

Dunfactor New Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Thanks Milk and Honey. :greengrin: I love my goaties! :love:

Tracy

11. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I just love the markings on both goats. They are so flashy. :love:

12. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I'll tell you what I do and you can do what you want with it. :) I offer them for sale and plan to breed by a certain time frame and then I do. I feed the doe and care for her, and if she shouldn't sell at least she'd still be earning her keep. Should she settle you can charge a breeding fee, or should she be there for half her pregnancy you could offer a doe kid back deal or a pregnant doe price. Either way it justifies doing it.

However I do understand a lot of people prefer open does. In most cases I'm the same way, I'd prefer to buy a doe open and breed her to my bucks, but that's not always possible.