Should I buy her?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by dixiegirl3179, Feb 25, 2011.

1. dixiegirl3179

dixiegirl3179 Done lost her mind...

Jan 20, 2010
    Middleburg, FL
    Hey all..
    Looking for a little advice. I saw a goat on CL and went to look at her today. She looks like a nubian..could. be a mix..but they said she's bred and about 5 months along. Now on to the problem. The lady said the goats had thrush which she had treated. They all had purple stuff on their feet. The goat looks pretty bad though.she was laying down and tried to stand when we approached but only got on her front knees. I was told her hoofs had just been trimmed but they didn't look quite right to me. Would it be hard for me to get rid of the hoof rot? I want to buy her and nurse her back to health but I don't know if I want to deal with a really sick goat. Also not sure about paying $100 for one that I have to put a bunch of tlc into. OTOH I don't want to leave her there either. There was also a pretty little nigerian with her 2 bucklings that they are selling too. I wouldn't be able to get them til tax return money comes in next weekend though. She's acted too but sh e's walking around with just a slight limp. I'm supposed to call her in the morning so I thought i'd ask for some guidance here to help ne decide.

2. dixiegirl3179

Jan 20, 2010
    Middleburg, FL
    Oh..and please excuse any typos..sending this from my phone and it's a PIA to type on.

3. Sunny Daze

Sunny Daze New Member

May 18, 2010
    Fairplay, MD
    Well, to start with if she was 5 months pregnant she would be giving birth right now as goat gestion is 150 days give or take a few. Did the lady tell you she was about 5 months along? If so, she clearly doesn't anything about goats! As for the doe only getting on her knees, could be her feet hurt but also could be CAE which if she is already exhibiting symptoms then it will only go downhill from here! Are you just wanting goats for pets or are you looking for milk? Your money will be better spent if you pay a little more and get a healthy goat from a reputable breeder. Do you currently have other goats or are these to be your first? I know it is easy to feel bad for them but I really think you should look elsewhere from the sounds of it....

4. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    NO! Definately don't buy her. You are going to be spending a lot of money trying to get her back into good health. The owner sounds like they don't know what they're talking about. You're also going to be taking a chance of bringing in unwanted diseases that may stay on your property forever.

I know it's hard to not do something for the doe, but bringing in a sick goat isn't going to pay off in the long run especially if the goat doesn't make it or she brings in diseases. If you want to do something to help, call animal control and tell them about the situation...maybe they can do something.

5. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

Take it from someone who just did something simalar. Dont do it, its not worth the risk and your going to have to put in TONS of extra work for her, I know you want to help, but do you really want to risk it?

6. dixiegirl3179

Jan 20, 2010
    Middleburg, FL
    Thanks for the replies all. The people mean well but by their own admission don't know much. Ifabout goats. That's why they're selling these. I just wanted to get her because she's another nubian doe and I figured $100 was a good price for a pregnant goat. They made no mention of the goat being sick in the ad and she's standing in the pictures. It's not worth paying for her if I have to put that much work into getting her well. I just want to get her out of there and get her fixed upbut it's not worth passing that on tomy goats even though I have a stall in a seperate area of the yard. If she was free I might consider it. I'll just tell her that I don't want to risk it.

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    As the others have said its more then likely more work then she is worth sadly. CAE or founder are more then likely the cause of the walking on her knees.

As to the pregnancy thing - yeah 5 months means kidding any moment so I doubt it unless she is showing signs of kidding and if so then yeah get her and bottle raise the kid/s so they and mom have a chance otherwise the kids may die.

8. dixiegirl3179

Jan 20, 2010
    Middleburg, FL
    Also I want to help these people because it seems like they just got in over their heads. She said they moved here from the city and got a buch of animals because they could. They had a ton of animals..a bunch of sheep, a couple cows, a mini horse. They said the mini horse had thrush an gave it to the goats. Like I said i'd like to help but I'm not paying them so that I can put the work and money into the goats they didn't take care of. The foot rot has to be pretty bad if she's walking around on her knees.

9. dixiegirl3179

Jan 20, 2010
    Middleburg, FL
    I'm not too experience with signs of labor but based on her size, udder, and appearance of her vulva I did think she was very close. That's part of the reason I want to take her so she can kid in a nice clean stall instead of in the dirt with all those other animals around.

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    What about offing 50 or 75 to them and say "she needs lots of TLC or I would pray more"

11. quakingcanopy

quakingcanopy New Member

Feb 21, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    Big time agree with Stacy. Offer less, be polite but say "with her issues..."

I would want very badly to help her too, but it's a big risk to your herd. I'm sorry I can't be more help! Just know I feel for you and your tough decision.

12. dixiegirl3179

Jan 20, 2010
    Middleburg, FL
    I thought about that stacy and it's probably what I'll do. I'm really bad a haggling but I can say that it's because of the extra work and having to get her set up in a seperate area to keep my other goats from getting infected. Maybe I'll offer 60 so we have some space to negotiate.

13. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Dixiegirl I totally agree with everyone. Dont walk, RUN. If it were me I wouldnt even think about making a counter offer.
    Its not worth the potential risk to the rest of your herd. There are plenty of healthy animals out there with proof of testing that you would pay a decent price for.
    You have a big heart but this girl could break you in more ways than one.

14. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    for me I would want to do it for the kids and then take the doe to auction. That or have her euthanize. teh money to have her tested for CAE, CL etc ist more then she would be worth im sure. But I cant stand to think of kids dying because their mom cant feed them and the owners dont know what to do

15. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Honestly, if the doe is already in poor shape then the kids likely won't make it in the first place and without colostrum they have a very small chance of surviving.

So you would be taking a HUGE gamble. You would be contaminating your property, taking a HUGE gamble that the doe kids ok. If the doe is in bad condition then kidding might be an issue. The kids will be in poor condition. What if she has one buck kid? Would it still be worth it?

This sounds like such a big risk...I wouldn't even consider it if she were free. But if you are ok with any contamination to your other goats and property and have extra cash to spend on helping this doe then I guess that's your decision. ;)

16. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    if you can confine her to one area
    say a small stall
    and keep her there until she is healthy or has passed on
    then totally clean and disinfect that area and leave empty for a few weeks
    i have a huge heart for animals
    they are so helpless
    its like shooting the messenger for the message...
    even if you had her for a few days and she passed on during birth or whatever
    she will have known love and kindness
    i could not have walked away the first time
    poor poor little girl
    my heart goes out to her
    if i was closer i would grab her up in an instant

17. Coyote Night Acres

Coyote Night Acres New Member

Dec 26, 2010
    Missouri
    What about saying you can't risk it with the doe's issues, but if they don't sell her and she kids that you would be interested in purchasing the kids to bottle. Just a thought if you were really worried that the kids would not survive.

Back when I was looking for lamancha doe's to build up a little dairy herd I had a similar delimma. The doe was older (The lady had no idea how old) and she was supposed to be bred and a good milker. We whent to look at her and she did not appear to be bred looking at her pooch and belly and her udder was messed up, one side was hanging and tub like with no udder teat seperation and seemed hard while the other side was flat. I thought possibly mastitis at some point while she was milking. Anyway she had another doe that looked identicle to this doe same story older, bred etc... but she really did look bred to me and her udder wasn't messed up I offered to take that one over the other, but she said no way. I said why not she said she had too many goats and the first one was due to kid sooner than that one and she didn't want to milk or have more kids. Sound a little funny to you? I thought so..... if they were both going to kid and probably wasn't more than a week or two apart from due dates why would she only be selling the one? When I spoke to her on the phone she said she had several, but really she was just wanting to pawn off this one doe that was getting to old to breed. She was organic and fed this nasty slop to her goats, they didn't even want to come up when she called them to eat. I wanted to take her just to get her out of that mess but I knew I couldn't take on someone elses problems. If I had been rich at the time I probably would have wisked her right away, but I had to be realistic about my herd goals. Since passing that doe up other doors opened and I was able to get registered doe's with awesome pedigrees in milk for less than what that lady was asking for her cull. I really lucked into the deal, but had I purchased the cull doe I would not have been able to get the other two does.

18. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well not every kid who doesnt get colostrum wont survive - they just have a tough start. Many do survive. Plus all it takes is getting some colostrum from mom and wala kids have what they need.

19. dixiegirl3179

Jan 20, 2010
    Middleburg, FL
    Thanks for all the help, ya'll.

I'm still not sure what to do. I really want to get her and help her, but I'm very hesitant to spend $100 just to get her, I don't even know if I want to spend $75. I don't know if she's sick in any way besides the foot rot. The lady said she was standing before they trimmed her hooves, so it's possible they messed up the hoof trim. Her hooves looked weird, like too angled. I'd have to call the farrier out to help me with those. She pooped and peed while I was there, and her poo looks perfectly normal. She was alert and everything. Ugh. I do have a stall that is not inside the goat pen that I can keep her in and the other goats won't ever go near it. If she makes it and the kid/kids make it I can get back what I paid for her by selling them. I don't even know for sure what type of buck she was bred to. The lady called her a pygmy. She may not be full nubian, but she's surely not a pygmy. She said on email that the buck was a pygmy, but at her house she said he also had long ears. She said they've already sold him, so I didn't get to see him. The animals there are all well fed, but it's pretty crowded. I'd like to get the nigerian doe and her 2 bucklings from her too, but I don't have the money for that til next week. She said she'd hold them for me. Ugh..this is so hard. Everytime I say to myself that I'm going to pass I think of her trying to walk on her front knees and I just want to take care of her. I guess I'll sleep on it and call in the morning. I'll probably offer her $50 and go from there. Oh, and the sheep were in the pen with the goats, so either they're feeding the sheep feed with copper in it or the goats aren't getting any copper..could that cause issues like this?

20. Sunny Daze

Sunny Daze New Member

May 18, 2010
    Fairplay, MD
    Do you have a picture of her by chance?