The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. So most of my herd is from my friend. Previously she took real good care of her herd. However she’s overwhelmed and selling her herd off and offered me pick. Their hooves needed a major trim when I saw them and she mentioned to me they all needed copper bolus. The color of the fur was changing on the one I was looking at. How serious is that? Rough coat, fur changing color? This is the dam of my baby goat and I thought maybe I should get her but I wonder what you guys think.

· Registered
1,506 Posts
My first goats I bought off craigslist from a lady that lives near me. Had them tested no diseases. Now I buy from a closed heard tested and coccidiosis tested. The only way I would buy another goat.
After this baby I'm waiting on I don't know if I'll buy another goat...

· Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would recommend testing them first before .. for CAE & Johnes. These are diseases they can carry and pass around but not show signs right away first.. the mineral deficiency and feet..and probably parasites could be fixed. If your really wanting go get some. The rough coat and color change is copper deficiency
Ok, she does have one she said had arthritis but she said it’s not CAE because the lady she got one of the goats from “said” she had her herd tested. Thanks for the input, I’m always nervous bringing goats into my herd and most people
Does she has anything to offer in terms of your goal for you herd? If not , I would pass. The price of feeding etc is high and I’d rather spend it on one who will improve my herd… not just an extra….
That’s a great question, the doe is pregnant and she’s polled and registrable. I have a registrable polled buckling and hope to have ADGA polled kids as a result.

· Registered
1,506 Posts
Ok, she does have one she said had arthritis but she said it’s not CAE because the lady she got one of the goats from “said” she had her herd tested. Thanks for the input, I’m always nervous bringing goats into my herd and most people

That’s a great question, the doe is pregnant and she’s polled and registrable. I have a registrable polled buckling and hope to have ADGA polled kids as a result.
Sounds good but does she have proof.

· Super Moderator
36,689 Posts
I would test her. Even having goats from her herd doesn't guarantee this one doesn't have disease. You can have a herd of goats and only one have cae. Always add new goats that WILL improve the whole. Good body structure, good udder, teats, parasite resident etc. .
Definitely get papers first if that's important to you...check her age..this at least gives you good information to make a decision on.

· Super Moderator
36,689 Posts
Also read up on breeding polled to polled. Lots of controversy there but do your research and make up your own mind.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts