The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a blue eyed buck and they are somewhat hard to find. I found this guy but when asked about what he produces the lady told me he has only ever thrown black babies but he was only bred to black does. I DO NOT want to have all black babies. So my question is does the buck or doe determine the color more than the other or is it 50/50? I am planning on breeding 6 does.
One 50/50 black and white
One 50/50 brown and white
One carmel colored
One very light cream almost white
One solid black white star on forehead
One gray agouti
With these color does what is the chance I will get a bunch of black babies? Also what do you think about the buck?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
Depends on his parents colors too.

I have a white doe who's sire was solid black and her dam a gold/white.... when bred with a black/white buck who's dam was solid black and sire white and gray, she had a black kid with frosted ears/nose.
My solid black buck here now was bred with a black doe with frosted ears and nose and gave me 3 black/white kids... 2 were black with random white and 1 was black with frosted ears.
Bred to a black/white/ gray roan doe, 3 black kids with frosting and 1 black with random white... his sire is a tan color and his dam is a black/tan buckskin pattern.
You will very likely end up with quite a few black kids...
As far as how he looks... big compared to the person holding him, a bit too tall for my liking of a Nigerian buck. He looks to have a steep rump and appears to toe out in front, these qualities are very likely to be passed onto his kids as well.
I am very partial to black and solid color goats, I'm not one who cares to see too much flash and buziness with a coat and he is a handsome boy.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I believe he is full Nigerian. He is registered and comes from a pretty reliable farm with nice looking goats but I too thought he looked kind of large as well:(

·
Registered
412 Posts
My limited understanding is that it is not necessarily the buck or the doe that determines the color but there are "dominant" colors. Last year I bred my 2 black and white does to a cream buck and was quite surprised when both does had 1 white and 1 buckskin kid each. Turns out "granddad" (the bucks sire) was a buckskin and buckskin is dominant. Other than knowing that buckskin is dominant I don't know what other colors are dominant over what other colors.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Interesting discussion-- we put a downpaymt on a little tricolored pinto(he is white with black and brown patches) buckling with blue eyes-- and ended up getting a pair of Oberhasli does!!!!
Now I am praying he throws black kids, they wont qualify as mini Obers otherwise--
if it helps the discussion along, his sire is a solid black with blue eyes , his mom is brown with brown eyes, and he has blue eyes.... (He is a registered Nigerian)....

New to this and have no idea what to expect next year!

PS just saw the comment that Buckskin is a dominant color , is that the Oberhasli coloration? Buckskin?

·
Registered
637 Posts
Oh one more thing, the sire of my buckling (above) also produced a pair of golden babies last breeding.....
I dont think he has ever thrown all black babies but then the does arent black....

·
Registered
212 Posts
I!

PS just saw the comment that Buckskin is a dominant color , is that the Oberhasli coloration? Buckskin?
Buckskin is the pinto color you described. Sometimes a person might describe the oberhasli color in a nigerian that way, but usually you need white to be a buckskin.

The oberhasli color is described as Chamoisee (sham-wah-zee), spelled with only 1 e in males

·
Super Moderator
58,910 Posts
White is not considered part of the buckskin coloring. Buckskin is a black front which goes just past the front legs and the back half is tan. If there is any white on them then that is added on to the color description. Like buckskin with random white or buckskin with white overlay.

·
1,524 Posts
The Oberhasli color is various shades of bay, from a lighter sandy bay to a deep dark mahogany bay. Must have the reddish color with black on belly, legs, face etc. Does can be solid black. The minis can have blue eyes and some white in the early crosses.

To me, the buck looks to have a steep rump and looks short bodied. Doesn't look very wide either and really tall. Personally I wouldn't buy him, but different people look for different things. I'd want to know what his dams, sires dams and any freshened daughters udders and production look like.

I love blue eyes, but i would never buy just for the color of eyes. I would rather have a correct brown eyed goat than a lesser quality blue eyed goat. I ran into that when I first went looking for blue eyed breeding stock. The brown eyed doeling was the better quality even if she wasn't as flashy as the other does (tri and white, wild coat patterns) with blue eyes.

Colors are genetic, but you have to know what is dominant. It would help to know what color this bucks sire and dam are, and any full siblings. And then you have to take into consideration the dams of any future kids of his. It sounds like you might end up with a lot of black kids.

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
23 inches is at the very top of the height limit for Nigerian bucks, AGS and ADGA have a standard of 23.5 inches and NDGA has a limit of 23 ".
How old is he ?
Bucks will continue to grow until they are 3 years old, if he isn't 3 yet then he will very likely be over height, also... I like to see length in proportion to height, otherwise it makes the goat appear box like, he could use some added length.

·
Premium Member
15,546 Posts
Don't sacrifice good conformation for color. This buck has a lot of obvious faults going on. There are so many bucks out there, i'd keep looking.

Also, if you want a variety of color, generally solid colored goats won't be as easy to produce flashy colored kids. For the blue eyes...he's got a fifty/fifty shot at throwing blue eyes on his kids if he's heterozygous for them. If he's homozygous for blue eyes he'll throw only blue eyed kids. Blue eyes are a dominant trait, so the goat must be blue eyed in order to pass them on.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
I agree with Kylee. I would keep looking. Either the person who is holding him is very short or they aren't telling the truth about his hight... He looks taller than 23" IMO. Not to mention his other various faults.

·
Alpine Addict!
2,264 Posts
He does toe out and has a steep rump, but other then that he looks nice.:)
You can also get blacks out of completely different colorings. My cou blanc doe was bred to a lavender cou clair-and wa-la! a black buckling. Just goes to show :):D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts