Should I buy this doe??

Discussion in 'Mini Mania' started by SkyesRanch, Nov 12, 2010.

1. SkyesRanch

SkyesRanch New Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Stephenville, Texas
    http://www.agapeoaks.com/herd-book/senior-does/161-2/

Click on the link to see her. She is a very accomplished doe, I just want to know what you guys think? Be cruel! :) No, but seriously, be honest as possible. I bought a doe kid out of her awhile back but sold her. She isn't for sale right now because she is due to kid soon I think... Anyways Lemme know!

2. pelicanacresMN

pelicanacresMN New Member

How could you not buy her lol! Just look at all of her accomplishments, I'd take her in a heartbeat! She's obviously proven herself in the showring, linear appraisal & milk--what more could you ask for :)

3. SkyesRanch

SkyesRanch New Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Stephenville, Texas
    Yes, but is she worth $750? That's what the lady wants for her... But, that is a bred price and she is keeping her till she kids so she may be cheaper open... :ponder:

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    750 bred but she keeps her till she kids? thats a bit fishy

5. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    is she a nice doe? yes. would i pay 750 for her? NO. she's nice, but IMO herudderis set pretty low, even if itsattached well

6. pelicanacresMN

pelicanacresMN New Member

That's a lot of $$$! The most I've ever paid was either $450 or $475 and some of my $250/300 purchases are just as good or better

7. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    she's won AGS national Jr Grand Champion. a title like that says she may be worth it.

8. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    I've paid over $1,000 for good breeding stock and that was for unproven kids. This doe has proven to be a nice doe....my question is "why is she selling her?" What is she producing? Does she have any of her kids that you can look at? Does she out produce herself or is she one of those does that is great to look at but produces subpar? The great thing about buying an adult is you can go into it with your eyes wide open. If she is a great producer, I'd say heck ya she's worth every penny. :drool:

9. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Has she been health tested? I wouldn't pay that much for any animal until the breeder showed me recent CAE, CL and Johnes results....she's definitely old enough that she should have been tested a couple of times. If she were $350 or $400 I would pay out of my own pocket to have her tested but ANY animal in the $700 and up range should definitely already be tested at the cost of the breeder. IMO :)

10. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Agape Oaks is one of the TOP breeders in our area.

I would assume that they'd been tested for sure. They have extremely good stock and win a lot in the shows.

11. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    Assume nothing ...especially at that price!!

12. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    If she's due to kid soon, it sounds responsible to me. :shrug: I wouldn't sell a doe that is going to kid soon.

I've paid over $750 for a well bred, proven doe. She looks well bred and proven, and looks pretty nice overall. However, her udder from that photo doesn't look as nice as I would expect for that kind of money. Conformation wise, she looks good, but has a steep rump, imo. But if she outproducers herself and her kids are really nice then I wouldn't mind paying that much, if you are sure she's going to be excellent for your breeding program.

Agree with making sure she's tested before purchasing.

13. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    From their home page:

When I meant assume, I didn't mean buy without knowing for sure! I only meant I was sure they did the testing, but didn't have time to look.

14. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    It doesn't mention testing for CL and Johnes.... high price tag for that risk imo. BUT.... I do agree that she may not have updated recently and there is no harm in asking to be sure. :) Not to mention... even if she hasn't tested for those 2 diseases... If asked she might be willing to do so for a buyer when they are looking at investing that kind of $. :) :angel2:

15. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Is the testing for CL very accurate? I've heard otherwise but don't know much about it honestly.

Johnes is very uncommon down here now, but that's a good point, I'd like to see testing for that as well on such a high priced doe. Not worth taking a risk on!

16. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    I was just looking to purchase a doe from out that way... I don't bring in stock before I have them tested.... had a vet draw her blood and send it to our lab here in CA (UC Davis) to test for CAE, CL and Johnes ..... the doe came back positive for both CAE and CL. So yes, the ELISA blood test can and does pick up CL. SCARY, SCARY.... I have never been so relieved to lose $100! :sigh:

I however would NOT trust any results from PAV lab. They are known for false positves and false negatives.... very inaccurate laboratory from what I've seen and heard.

17. cyanne

cyanne Senior Member

Nothing fishy at all...I know this breeder personally and I know why she is selling. Her herd had gotten fairly large and she was maintaining a licensed dairy on top of working full time. She also suffered a very tough loss last year when a buckling that she waited 2 years to buy came doing with urinary calculi and she wasn't able to save him. It all got to be too much work and stopped being enjoyable, so she decided to drastically cut down on the number of animals she had and to stop selling milk as well. From what she has told me, her plan is to sell all but a few does and is keeping one or two bucks.

Most of the ones she put up for sale are gone already, there are just a few left including this doe.

She has had Oreo up for sale for quite a while, originally she was priced at $1,000 bred, then she dropped her down to $750. She has been up for sale for long enough that she is close to kidding, so Pam probably just doesn't want to have her transported anywhere and risk harming the doe.

I've been to her place and seen her set-up, she takes very good care of her goats and they were all healthy and happy. We run into her at pretty much every show we go to and she has some very nice animals...she's usually up near the front of the line.

As for the doe herself and whether she is worth the price...that I can't really speak on as I guess it depends on your breeding goals, what bloodlines you are working with, etc. Plus, I am still getting a handle on judging udder, conformation, etc... so I won't claim to be an expert in that area yet by a long shot! <G> I can say that I liked her well enough that I bought one of her doelings from her last kidding (quad does!).

18. cyanne

cyanne Senior Member

Also forgot to add, I would bet good money that Pam already has recent test results available, but I know for a fact that she'd be more than willing to re-test if you asked. She's definitely not just a random backyard goat breeder, she is very active in the regional show scene and participates in programs like the linear appraisals, milk tests, etc. Her main focus has been on milk production, so she gets pretty intense about those milk test scores.

What I'm saying, I guess, is that there are lots of got breeders out there that I would be very cautious about buying from because they are unknown or they have no reputation built up, yet, but Agape Oaks is not one of them.

19. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    :thumbup: Always good to hear about breeders that care for their stock and what they are producing. :)

Sad that she lost her buck....I would be devastated if I lost one of my boys. :tears: I need to go hug a buck now!!! :)

20. cyanne

cyanne Senior Member

Yep, I felt so bad for her when that happened because I knew how long she had waited for a buck out of that doe and how attached she was to him. He was out of MCH - GCH Gay-Mor's JJU Nonpareil 4*D (1*M) 'E'. Gorgeous doe, and the waiting list for her kids is about a mile long. I think Pam told me she had waited 2 yrs or more for him.

Then, he comes down with UC and even though she and the vet tried everything to save him, she lost him anyway. I can't imagine how that would feel...

At least he did manage to breed one batch of does before she lost him, and I am pretty sure she has kept almost all of the kids from that batch, even after downsizing.