Should I buy?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by mliga, Dec 31, 2010.

  1. mliga

    mliga New Member

    100
    Nov 27, 2009
    Kingwood, WV
    I had someone offer to sell me these two goats for $125 each, neither are bred and I will not be able to get them bred this year since I sent the buck back.

    This one is a saanen/alpine cross that was born Aug 2009 mother had excellent milk, never bred.

    [​IMG]

    This one is a nubian/saanen/alpine cross that just turned a year old. Mother was also an excellent milker.

    [​IMG]

    So what do you think?

    Michelle in WV
     
  2. KW Farms

    KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

    Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I think it really depends on what your goals are for your herd. If you can't breed them this year, then why not just wait to purchase somethin later on when you buck is back? It seems like a big waste of space, feed, and care if you are looking to breed them and have milk soon.

    $125 doesn't seem like a special price for them by any means. I would think once you get your buck back, you'd be able to find something for around the same price and quality. That way you won't be feeding and caring for two goats for an entire year for nothing.

    ...So I vote...no... ;)
     

  3. StaceyRosado

    StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

    Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    First doe toes out quite a bit.

    Kylee is right - what are your goals? How hard is it to find good milkers in your area? Are you looking to show or have registered goats? Are these two registered as grades?

    I'm not horribly impressed but those pictures don't really show them off that great either.
     
  4. newmama30+

    newmama30+ New Member

    610
    Oct 4, 2010
    Wabasso MN
    I vote no, wait til your buck is back or find a couple girls already bred, unless you want some lawn ornaments, I would also want to see better pics before committing to them or go visit and take a look at them.