The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I am new to the goat game, however I have done quite a bit of research (online and in person) Here is my quandary, I have recently purchased a 10 acre property. I do not live on it but rather I rent out the house to a tenant but I intend on using the 8.8 acre pasture to run a few goats on. I am looking at Kikos. I have been told you need to rotate goats every 21 days to break the parasite life cyce, so that leads me to believe i need to break up the pasture in to paddocks. On the otherhand I have also been told that with 8.8 acres that a paddock system in unnecessary because of the ample size for approximately 10 goats and guard donkey. The bottom line is I want to do things the right way. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with this? Any advice is appreciated.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That few goats on that much acreage and the fact that you don't live there, I wouldn't bother with paddocks.
I apologize as I wasn't clear enough in my newbie question. Although I wont physically reside on the property I do intend on being on the property daily to take care of the animals. My main concern is by not rotating grazing area will I have problems with parastite load in the heard

· Super Moderator
16,603 Posts
If they are just going to be lawn mowers then no I wouldn’t worry about splitting it up. If you are going to breed these animals then I would, not because of parasites but for management. At one point you are going to want to wean kids, and also keep any replacement doelings away from a buck. I know this wasn’t why you asked the question but I remember being new and realizing my one pasture was not going to do it ;)

· Registered
11,167 Posts
I would include a paddock/dry lot attached to their shelter that could be closed if needed to catch them for vetting or contain them during kidding season or separate some during breeding, etc. If parasites become an issue, this paddock could be large enough to dry lot them on hay for a while.

· Super Moderator
16,603 Posts
If you are like me your 10 goats will rapidly grow to 100.
if that is you then plan on building paddocks. 34 day is a better rotation. start slow cut your property in half first then when you need it then split the haves in half again. then split them again tell you have a good rotation
Yes! This is exactly what happened to me as well. This is also what I ended up doing. The only issue I now have is since I use those fields to keep certain bucks and does together and away from the other bucks and does it's a pain if I have a animal in the back corner pasture that I want to do something with because I have my catch pen way up front and I would have to go threw other pens to get them there. I eventually will put laneways in but for now I'm just cursing myself that I didn't plan better to start with :/

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If they are just going to be lawn mowers then no I wouldn't worry about splitting it up. If you are going to breed these animals then I would, not because of parasites but for management. At one point you are going to want to wean kids, and also keep any replacement doelings away from a buck. I know this wasn't why you asked the question but I remember being new and realizing my one pasture was not going to do it ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.