The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year it was CRAZY just trying to find a buck for stud, I think it took me about 6months before Patty offered to let Irena go to her farm so I could breed Aspen to her. My friend who does have Nigerians doesn't have a buck, she has been close to buying a few but they either decide to keep the buck or sell to a different person whose offer is higher. I'm still pretty new to goats but would be willing to give having a buck a try. I only have one doe, so would I be crazy having a buck? I just don't want to go through what happened last year again!!

·
Registered
577 Posts
I don't think it would be good, or efficient, for you to buy a buck. It is probably better if you wait until you get a good herd of about 4-6 goats before you buy a buck, otherwise it's kind of a waste of money. You will end up paying more to buy and care for the buck, than if you just pay for stud fee. Also, if you are new to goats, I would not recommend getting a buck. They are not something you can just..."try". Here is an article from Fias Co Farm about their experience with their first buck:
http://fiascofarm.com/goats/getting-your-goat.htm#lesson
Maybe what you can do is co-own a buck with your friend. She can keep it at her place, but you help pay for the initial purchase of him, as well as some money for the upkeep from there. Or you can simply wait for her to buy a buck herself, and ask if you can pay to breed him to your doe.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
I would have to go with waiting for only one doe.
On the other hand.............
I have been through the frustration of trying to find service, hauling the doe around, having the breeding not take, not getting my money back etc.
So, when we got back into goats three years ago; we got a buck. And all my does got bred on my schedule.
I guess what I am saying is; I am in favor of owning your own buck. I just agree that the time and feed that would go into him would not justify servicing only one doe.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought about AI but then there's the possibility of it not working... Most people who would have my doe over live 3-6 hours away. Since I don't have a licenses my mom would have to drive and that's too long of a way to drive for her :p Im hoping my friend gets a buck but so far nobody will sell her one....

·
2,180 Posts
I would get a buck in your situation.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts