The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 Nigerian does I want to have bred this fall and 2 doelings that won't be old enough to breed until next year. I love my goaties, I think they are my new favorite livestock animal to own. In the past I had my 2 does bred to a nice buck at another farm. It was a bit of a search to find a quality registered buck from a CAE & CL clean tested herd that wasn't closed to outside breedings...now I find myself in the same position, there aren't many options for me locally and I want to be sure the buck has good genetics, nice conformation etc. I was avoiding owning a buck because of the smell plus justifying keeping one with only a few does. I know he'd need his own secure space away from the does and a buddy for company. How far away does he need to be housed so they don't affect the flavor of the does milk? We have 12 acres and enough unused fencing just sitting in the barn, so making a spot for one isn't too big of an issue. I've seen some nice young bucks for sale recently and am tempted to just buy one. I guess I'm just undecided and weighing the pros and cons....any thoughts or advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
15,546 Posts
You could always purchase a buck for the season and resell him once the does have been bred. Or see if you can lease one for the breeding season. If you set up a temporary pen bordering the doe's pen, you'll be able to notice their heats and breed them as needed. Once everyone has been bred, resell.

I would hate to have to take my does somewhere for breeding, but I also wouldn't want to keep a buck permanently for only a few does. So leasing or reselling is a good option.

·
Registered
637 Posts
The lady we are buying our buckling from keeps her mature buck in with 2 does and he is a sweetie, cuddles you and so gentle with the does...
We thought we would try the buckling out for a year or 2 and just wether him if it wasnt working out.... (not sure my daughter would be able to let him go for sale, maybe even trade him for a new buck/loan of one to breed his future daughters to)....

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I was in a similar situation this fall. I just decided to go ahead and buy a buck even though this is our first year breeding.

I'm glad I bought one because it really is worth it to me. Yea I have to spend a few more minutes feeding and had to create a pen and shed but I like that I can just walk the girls over when they're ready for breeding. As opposed to having to call someone and drive my for around. Plus it's given me the freedom to choose what I want in my herd rather than just dealing with what my local breeders have available.

I agree with everyone on the reselling though. If you don't have a lot of does that is a better option than keeping one 24/7

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,082 Posts
I love my bucky boys to death. Sure they're stinking up a storm right now, but they are sweeties. I love having my own boys, I can make sure they are in top health, and disease tested. I can choose what does they come in contact with, which protects my herd. :D

·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think everyone has confirmed what I've been thinking...that having a buck here would be much more convenient than trying to find a buck taking my does to another farm...and the idea of selling him is a good option if I decide to, but I'm guessing he'll be sticking around. Thanks for the input everyone.

Now I just need to find a really nice buck!! :)

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,082 Posts
Be sure he has a buddy, either a wether or another buck. :) Lonely bucks are misbehaving bucks.

·
Registered
402 Posts
This is my first year with owning bucks. They are younger and were raised to be gentle and respectful. I love them even though they stink. They are more personable and attention-seeking than my does are. I only have 4 does but I think it is worth it keeping my two bucks because my main goal with goats is milk and meat. it's easier to be self sufficient with my own bucks. Last year it was a pain driving my does around to go on dates, especially when one of them didn't take.

·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Where are you? I have a nice buck that I'll probably sell this year... He has horns, but he is one of the sweetest goats I've ever met!
Aww, he does look sweet. I have a couple that I've made plans to look at in the next couple weeks but I'll keep him in mind.

Thanks! :)

·
4,499 Posts
Just my 2 cents... I've looked at bucks that were big and took 2 people to catch... And one that could jump a 4 ft fence to get to the does...so make sure you find one that's easy to handle and keep contained :).

·
Registered
637 Posts
Just my 2 cents... I've looked at bucks that were big and took 2 people to catch... And one that could jump a 4 ft fence to get to the does...so make sure you find one that's easy to handle and keep contained :).
Speaking of easy to handle bucks---
We out a down paymt on a tiny little registered nigerian buckling, am hoping the does dont beat up on him? ( He is disbudded, and the youngest doe and wether are polled but everyone else horned, and are larger breeds-- mixed Nigerian Toggs and 3 Oberhaslis)-- Is the pecking order in goat herds a different one for bucks?....

·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well we found a buckling we really like. My husband will be picking him up tomorrow. Fortunately there was a wether available also, so we are getting them both :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
My buck only stinks until does are bred then he smells OK the rest of the time. He is sweet and I keep him with my does. My milk does not taste bucky.

·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
So here's a little update. Our new buck has been here for a week now. In that short time he's already had "dates" with the 2 does I wanted bred. He and his wether buddy are housed separately from the does because I have two doelings that are too young to be bred and I don't want all my goats to smell like a buck. Anyway I have to say it's been different having a buck but not too bad. He sometimes cried a lot but probably due to adjusting to his new home. I was wondering if he'd be happier sharing a fence line with the does or if he is better staying where he is on the other side of the barn?

·
4,499 Posts
I believe that seeing the does would make it worse :(. I also think that all the noise is him being young and getting used to the place...my buck is very quiet, but his wether friend is the screamer! I hope he calms down for you...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts