Should I keep both bucks?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by JessaLynn, Nov 4, 2009.

1. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    We currently have 2 bucks and 2 does.Why I have 2 bucks I don't know I just think they are so darn cute right now.Anyhow I have both does due to kid.One next month and other in feb. I need to rethink why I have 2 bucks other then the cute factor.They are brothers.One with sky blue eyes and other brown.You can see them on my website.They are the two mini nubian bucklings in my photo album.I would like to add another nubian doe soon so need more room.Which one should I keep or should I just keep them both? I have a favorite but still a hard decision. :hair: :help: Help me! Please!

2. goatnoob

goatnoob Guest

Nov 1, 2009
    no. two bucks will lead to aggression between the bucks, my advice is to keep both of them till you see mounting behaviour. then you should decide which buck to keep based on their body conformation, so you get the best of the two bucks you have to wait till they start to get aggressive toward each other before you get rid of the so you can get rid of the buck that FOR SURE has the "bad genetics". but thats just me, if you want to keep both bucks go ahead! :)

3. Ok, to be honest you may not like this but here are my thoughts. First thing, if you have few does I would not keep either of the bucks due to the fact they are related to one of two, three if you get another one. That limits your breeding because one doe can never be bred back to the buck.

However, if you are going to keep one, first look at quality. Is this something you want to be in all your future kids? Your buck is 50% of your herd. If you find they both have this. You then want to look at, in your breed is blue eyes disirable? If so keep the blue eyes as you have better odds of getting more of that color. If it is not something the breed finds disirable, keep the brown eyed. You still have odds of blue eyed kids, just not as high. Then the last thing if eyes do not matter but quality is there look at color. What color do you want to breed? Tri colors will have more change of a range of colors, black and white, for example, will too but the higher odds are that with that that is colored already.

Really and truly if you are getting into shows though, I would invest in a very high quality buck with all the things people are going to want for a show goat. Hope that helps.

4. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I would just keep one. Whichever you like better. And having to bucks will not lead to aggression, in fact I prefer to keep at least two bucks at a time so one is not alone. Right now I have 6 bucks all together in their own seperate pens and they get along wonderfully...sure there is head butting now and then, but I find it is more beneficial for them to have a buddy. So maybe you could wether one?? And keep the other as a buck??

5. goatnoob

goatnoob Guest

Nov 1, 2009
    really? i thought that having two bucks lead to unnessasry stress in the herd... oh, well now i know that i was wrong... thank you. :thumbup:

6. jesse300

jesse300 Guest

Oct 28, 2009
    We have 8 bucks that share a pan. They do play but they don’t show aggression unless there is a female in heat near them.

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    we have 3 in the herd with no issues. All three are gentle as can be even in rutt

As to who to keep - need to check your website but even in brothers there can be a difference in conformation and breed traits so best to keep the one that most resembles a nubian if you are going to keep either.

I wouldnt keep two bucks that were brothers -- but having to bucks in a small herd is not a problem unless all the does are related :wink:

8. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    To clarify for one.The bucks aren't related to the does.Two they have their own pen and aren't exposed to the does unless they can get to one another threw a 5ft chainlink fence :wink: One of the bucks has already shown he is the more aggressive one and has tried mounting the other buck.The blue eyed buck is my favorite because of his beautiful eyes and laid back spirit but his conformation and color is well not great.He's gray and black blue eyes but has a mohawk that makes him unique as well.His name is "Dakota" I would consider wethering him but because he does have potential to be a nice buck still I can't bring myself to do it. We are getting 2 more does this weekend and want to sell one of these bucks because of them being related and not many choices in a breeding plan.

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    the pictures arent good of the boys so I cant tell you by conformation who to choose

10. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Darn! I know I need to get new ones up.I just posted the blue eyed buck up for sale on my page but still haven't made a deffinite decision yet.I want to hear more opinions.Their ears are generally the same.Pictures show different but they really don't have much difference as far as that goes.

11. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

Okay a few things here
    I dont see mounting as aggression at all- we have anywhere from 6-8 bucks that share a pen all ranging from born early this year to 7 years old. Bucks will be bucks and they do their bucky things with each other and to each other. I havent ever had bucks that didnt mount each other and blubber at each other when in rutt.

If the blue eyed buck is lacking in conformation, I would not be using him- color and blue eyes should not matter when considering a buck- you want to look at his dam and his conformation only. I tell people that all the time, look past color and sparkly things like blue eyes....quality is what matters most.
    also things like a mohawk.....doesnt matter at all...

One thing to think about- if you sell one of them- then the other is going to be left without company- I would never house a goat alone.

12. I agree, if they are not related to your does then the one with the best confirmation would be best. The rest should only come in place if both buck have great confirmation. I do have a question, how old are these boys? At times it is best to wait to see who is the nicer of the two because a beautiful kid can turn around in a very short time.

13. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Yeah I get what your saying.I am still new to raising goats and need more experience and hoping someone had some insite in what to look for.I wouldn't keep him by himself and would let him run with our bred does if needed.I can also get a wether free no problem. They were born June 1st so 5 months old. Old enough to tell?

14. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Just took a look at Dakota and personally he does not look buck quality to me. He has a steep rump, he toes out in the back, his back isn't level, though it could be how he's set up, and his ears look erect from the picture?? He is a cute boy, but for a herd sire I would pass...he would make a better wether, in my opinion. I also agree with proctor. I try to pretend every goat is solid black with brown eyes...color is nice, but that is a bonus.

15. ProctorHillFarm

Hey one of my bucks is black with frosting (bleck!!!!) but has a stellar pedigree and the best topline in my herd :wink:

Also I agree from what I can see in the pictures- Dakota would be wethered in my opinion....
    the other buck if properly set up- could look quite nice on the other hand the only thing that jumps out at me is he is a bit weak in the chine- but it might just be the picture...

16. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Yep..same here....minus the frosting...solid black, but superb genetics and outstanding conformation! He's a grandson to Buttin' Heads Wedding Song.

17. ProctorHillFarm

18. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    What should I be looking for other then what's on paper? The brown eyed tan and black buck is built better strong and wide.I agree on Dakota, that concerned me with his rump low. My 2 yr old son calls him his "Boy" and is a fav. with him.Maybe I should just keep him as wether but aint it difficult to casterate at this age? Would banding him be the best way? Hmm :hair: Sheesh! :scratch:

19. ProctorHillFarm

you more than likely could still get him banded - as long as you can fit the testicles in the bander....thats a good idea- wethering him for a buddy! :)

I hate letting bucks run with does- because then you will never have due dates and that would drive me crazy at kidding time- i go crazy already and I know the due dates! :wink:

Oh and on paper- you want to be concerned with his mothers udder and his sires mothers udder (and overall conformation too)
    Do you have a way to find out what they were like?

20. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Just googled this real quick...seems like a great website with awesome mini nubi buck info. you should know when choosing a herd sire. http://www.mininubians.com/herdsire.htm

And nope not to late to band him as long as you can get the band over the testicles.

Oh..proctor, that buck is gorgeous. My buck is a son of MOH Rising Son and Black Iredish Rose...I think Poppy Patch has a full brother to mine and someone else on here as well....laurel haven?