The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Adopted by Goats
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone dumped Sweet Pea out on the HWY near a country store last April. We were praying for a dog so we took her home. Well, it is very clear to us why she was dumped. She is a loveable dog and has a great play drive and is high energy. Thankfully she has not hurt any of our animals but loves the chase. We use to let her run free for exercise until she figured out how to get under the goat fence. She really enjoys chasing the goats. We use to have her in the dog kennel but she figured out how to get out. So we started tying her up. Well, after she chewed through several leases we got a plastic coated metal lead to tie her up. Well, this morning she was chasing the goats after having chewed through that plastic coated metal lead. I have been trying to train her but we are still working on sit. Last week I started looking for a trainer who also boards as I am very rural. I have found one trainer an hour away who charges $300 a week. I have a lead on another trainer who is an hour away in a different direction but have not made contact yet. I am just starting to wonder if it is worth putting more money into her (already spent over $200 getting her spayed, etc.). I have goats, chickens, and 2 cats who love to tease her. I am willing to spend the money to get her trained if there is hope of her becoming a good guard dog (she does bark a lot which is good if people on foot from Mexico are trespassing on their way up north). It would be nice to have a dog we can let be free and keep predators (both animal and human) away. We love her as she is so sweet, but she needs to be trained. I would hate to plunk hundreds of dollars into getting her trained and still have to rehome her. You who have more experience with dogs and livestock, how much hope do you think there is for Sweet Pea? Should I spend the money to get her some training or start looking for a nice family with a good back yard and lots of kids to play with her and let them do the obedience training?

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Plant Fawn

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
59,785 Posts
Sounds like she needs a lot of exercise. I wonder if obstacle training would help her. I know Caesar Milan always pushes making sure they have a lot of exercise.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Lots of stress here!

I think you should rehome her. The reason being it is her nature to chase and she probably has a strong predator bent. Meaning some day you are going to come home and find your chickens dead and your goats killed. It's just a matter of time. (I have raised Labs since 1987 and lost lots of chickens trying to "train" it out of them.) You can't leave her unsupervised outside. It's just the way it is.

It's a lot of stress the make sure she is contained and she has a lot of energy to try to dig out, or challenge fences.

$300 is a lot of money to spend on training when groceries are expensive, etc.

It's hard to pound a square peg in a round hole. That's what you are trying to do with her. Training only goes so far.

Get a dog that won't kill your livestock.

·
Adopted by Goats
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like Ceasar Milan too. I have noticed when we are able to exercise her she doesn't jump on me when I go out to feed her. Exercise is a major key, but all last week it rained and I live on a dirt road that gets flooded when we get a lot of rain. Dog won't mind but I don't.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I'm against keeping a dog on a chain. It frustrates them and unless you are really willing to spend time with her, it's not fair to her. Dogs are pack animals. If you aren't willing to become part of her pack and insist on keeping her in solitary confinement on a chain, rehome her and find a dog better suited to your needs. It's not worth the risk to your livestock. More than likely, the behavior will resume if you don't continue to keep her stimulated.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
I don't like that prey drive. my dogs have high prey drive for small things (chickens, cats, etc), and they've killed them occasionally. the big guy has chased our buckling once when he was really small, but not anymore. all it takes is one slip up from an animal, and they're probably dead. then the dog gets blood thirsty, and your issue gets exasperated.

you have to decide what works for you. our big dog gets tied up when we're not home b/c he likes to hop the fence and terrorize the neighbourhood (only when my bf is gone), but he has a long lead and he really only hangs out on the patio with or without the leash on. our smaller dog gets to run free, but she has no intentions of escaping, and she keeps him company.

good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
818 Posts
We had a very similar situation in mid-January. We found a 6 month old female puppy chasing cattle in a field near my house. My sister called her over, and she jumped right in the car. The first month we had her, she was still very timid and didn't give our chickens a second look. She met our other two dogs, and they got along beautifully. It was like a dream come true! Finally, we were able to locate her old owners who said she did not have a fence and was always running away. She said she was bred to be a pig hunting dog and was a Jagdt terrior/ Argentine Dogo mix. Apparently they assumed she had been killed and didn't bother to contact the animal shelter, or call our # that was on all the found dog signs. We decided to keep her. We had her spayed and vaccinated when she was about 7 months, and began to really start reinforcing basic training. She was SO smart, and loved learning. However, slowly but surely, she started to become more destructive and aggressive. One day, she saw my dad trying to catch a chicken in the yard, and she never went back. She began chasing the chickens and fought with our two original dogs at every corner. I was so worried that my small chihuahua would eventually be killed. I tried training, monitoring them constantly, and jogging with her daily. She was anxious, unhappy, and out of control. By the end of March, she had started chasing our goats along the fence and barking at them obsessively. With new baby goats along the way, I knew that she would kill them eventually. On Easter morning, we decided to call her old owners. To our relief, her old owners offered to take her before we even said anything. She said her friend who owned a large hunting resort near us had wanted her since the day she was born, but had been waiting until she moved into her newly built house. I said my goodbyes and cried quite a bit. I felt like I had failed her, but it was just not going to work out. Keeping her apart from our two other dogs, our goats, and our chickens was just not possible. She is now being trained to do what she was bred to do; hunt wild pigs. I would NEVER have taken her to a shelter or somewhere she would not be cared for. She now lives out her days here, http://www.redbankhunting.com/ and we are all better off for it.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
Posting her on petfinder may also be a good option. :hug: I would personally not offer her free, just because there are some shady characters out there who will talk the talk but not walk the walk.

·
Adopted by Goats
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Posting her on petfinder may also be a good option. :hug: I would personally not offer her free, just because there are some shady characters out there who will talk the talk but not walk the walk.
I took your advice and changed the ending to expecting a donation to cover some of my vet expenses. I also added 2 more pics of her. She is a 55 pound lap dog so now there is a pic showing that part of her personality. She will make someone a great dog, but that person needs to not have other animals unless they are indoor pets.

The shelters around here are pretty full and I live far from them, so that probably is not a very good option, but I will post on petfinder and any other lead I am given. I know the right home for her is out there. I forgot to include she likes to chew--ate a cell phone, hay hooks (wooden part), pool net, and several other items.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
nono, not give to them the dog, but I've seen on petfinder some animal rescue groups (not shelters, like those independent groups) will post on behalf of someone on petfinder and on their website....

·
Adopted by Goats
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just registered for pet finder but cannot figure out how to post her for adoption. Seems only shelters can list. At least there is a way to search but I am not finding any way to actually list her.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
yea....search for animal rescue groups near you, and ask them to post on your behalf. I think you can only post a pet for adoption if you're a registered charity.

·
Adopted by Goats
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
FYI--Craigslist deleted my ad. Pet sales are prohibited was in red letters when I clicked on the link. I am so frustrated. Craigslist won't let me advertise, petfinder won't let me advertise. Shelters are overflowing and killing pets at record rates. What am I suppose to do?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts