The Goat Spot Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Adopted by Goats
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I am really baffled. The link said no pets for sale, but I only asked for a donation to help cover my vet expenses, which I do not think is unreasonable. I didn't specify an amount, just a donation. Who is that selling a pet? Maybe I will repost in a few days and just reword that sentence a little bit and see if that works.

She was posted under Farm & Garden by owner. Didn't see anything else that was appropriate.

As for petfinders. The only shelter listed near me is a county kill shelter and their page made it clear you better come pick up an animal that interests you asap. That shelter is an hour away from me. the town has other shelters though, but none were listed on the site. I might have to take a friend to the doctor next Wed. and if I do I will visit the non-profit shelters and talk to them. Maybe they know of another place I can advertise.

·
Registered
424 Posts
There are programs where you donate your dog to a prison and they train them to become companion type dogs. Also check into seeing eye dogs. I know people who has done this so it's worth a shot.

·
Adopted by Goats
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Try posting under pets under community i think. I see alot of pet advertisments there.
When I was posting there was no pets area to post on. I looked. I just went over and looked at the home page and see pets under community. But neither community or pets was available on the page where you select where to post on the day I was posting. I spent a lot of time looking and was frustrated. I just was looking again trying to figure out why I was deleted, it just doesn't make since to me. I am one of those people who try really hard to obey the rules. Well, I saw a suggestion by someone staying wait 48 hours before reposting. So I will do that.

There are programs where you donate your dog to a prison and they train them to become companion type dogs. Also check into seeing eye dogs. I know people who has done this so it's worth a shot.
I know this dog would not pass seeing eye dog training or maybe not companion training. She does have a high play drive, way to high. I have seen programs on training dogs for service jobs and most fail. One dog failed because the dog kept chasing squirrels, not a good trait for a seeing eye dog. My dog loves chasing. She goes ballistic when the barn cats walk by out of her reach and I know they are doing it on purpose. She really enjoys chasing the goats. She keeps a good distance from them and shows no signs of actually wanting to catch one, she just loves chasing them.

·
Registered
424 Posts
When I was posting there was no pets area to post on. I looked. I just went over and looked at the home page and see pets under community. But neither community or pets was available on the page where you select where to post on the day I was posting. I spent a lot of time looking and was frustrated. I just was looking again trying to figure out why I was deleted, it just doesn't make since to me. I am one of those people who try really hard to obey the rules. Well, I saw a suggestion by someone staying wait 48 hours before reposting. So I will do that.

I know this dog would not pass seeing eye dog training or maybe not companion training. She does have a high play drive, way to high. I have seen programs on training dogs for service jobs and most fail. One dog failed because the dog kept chasing squirrels, not a good trait for a seeing eye dog. My dog loves chasing. She goes ballistic when the barn cats walk by out of her reach and I know they are doing it on purpose. She really enjoys chasing the goats. She keeps a good distance from them and shows no signs of actually wanting to catch one, she just loves chasing them.
What about an agility dog for a local 4H child. They work on obedience and agility? Call your local extension office and see if there are canine clubs. Just a suggestion...it would also depend on how the dog interacts with a child or teen. Best of luck.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I had the same issue with Craig's list when I posted my sons ferrets, I just kept reporting lol I don't know why it red flags me bc tons of people advertise there for pets!!

·
Adopted by Goats
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
4H is pretty much into livestock around here and nothing else. I have been to the county fair--sheep, goats, and rabbits. That was it. I live in meat goat country. Only around 2000 humans in the entire county. And when you go west the population numbers plummet. There are school dist. around here that have less then 200 students and cover huge areas. One school dist. to the east of me, Divide, has less then 10 students total--K through 8th grade. High school kids have to go to a different school dist. So when I say I am rural, I am not joking.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just keep reposting it on Craigslist. You are allowed on Craigslist to find homes for dogs and charge a rehoming fee. There is a group of people out there with nothing to do but flag stuff and look for dogs to flag. They think it a game to find pets to flag. I have read their comments on the craigslist blog so that is how I found that out.

Also try Hoobly.com and ebayclassifieds.com Both free.

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
Facebook and ask friends to share.

yes it takes someone actually flagging it to get it removed. CL doesnt monitor adds or delete them unless someone actually flags the add.

·
Adopted by Goats
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I did post on facebook as I have a lot of city friends from when I lived in the city who might know someone looking for a high energy friendly dog. I am going to repost on craigslist tomorrow afternoon/evening.

·
Registered
637 Posts
SO, just getting to this part of the Forum ( I can tell I am going to like this)-- how did it turn out?
I am guessing you rehomed her?
It is really tough to have animals and dogs that dont get along as they should with them....

For the future though:

I know this might sound silly, but we put a mini tire (like from a lawn tractor ) on a chain on our dog WHEN WE CAUGHT HER CHASING-- make sure you catch her in the act-- the tire sure slows em down (and keeps them getting thru fences) plus leave it on for a day or 2 they hate it and learn that they chase (make sure you say NO) that they get the tire, on a sweet dog like that should be an effective detterrent.....

·
Adopted by Goats
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I know this might sound silly, but we put a mini tire (like from a lawn tractor ) on a chain on our dog WHEN WE CAUGHT HER CHASING-- make sure you catch her in the act-- the tire sure slows em down (and keeps them getting thru fences) plus leave it on for a day or 2 they hate it and learn that they chase (make sure you say NO) that they get the tire, on a sweet dog like that should be an effective detterrent.....
I love that idea. If Sweet Pea was still here I would chain her to a tire. That way she could still get around but not under that fence to chase the goats.

So here is what happened. A 21 year old son of a friend had to put his life long pal down. Poor dog was pretty ill at age 13. The son was so distraught his father and I actually had to drive 130 miles to San Antonio, pick up the dog and take him to my vet, who confirmed the problem that was wrong with the dog was an issue that qualifies for putting down the dog. So we did and buried him on my land. Well, a few days later the son asked if he could borrow Sweet Pea. He said he just needed a dog. So now Sweet Pea is living in San Antonio. BTW, this 21 year old son is carrying for his half brother and sister as their mother is in the Army and deployed to Korea. There are also a bunch of other children around. So Sweet Pea has lots of children to play with.

I am so glad I paid to have Sweet Pea micro-chipped when I had her spayed. Since Sweet Pea loves to chase goats, she may enjoy chasing cars too and I can imagine her some day getting lost. She will come back to us but she does enjoy running. Since she is basically with family, if she does ever get lost the micro-chip will lead the finder to me. And I know how to get hold of the 21 year old son.

·
Registered
637 Posts
OK great ending - thanx for updating us I hate be left hanging! Yes keep in mind that old tire trick! yay am so glad Sweet pea got a nice home, you did right by her!

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Yay, glad she found a home :) !

21 - 40 of 42 Posts