The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been looking for a doeling to add to my herd, and I found one with the coloring I want, but I’m not too sure if I should get her? I asked the owner if she was dehorned, he said no but they could dehorn if I want , then I asked how old is she, he said 4 weeks, which is way too old to dehorn, so that makes me a little skeptical, because if your a responsible goat owner you should know 4 weeks is too old to dehorn, also I ask if they do cl, cae, and johns disease testing, he said yes they test their herd and they’re all good, I asked him to send me a picture of the paper to prove he has a clean herd, but he hasn’t sent a pic yet. And I also asked if their herd has any history with lice or mites, and he said “we take good care of our goats you have nothing to worry about” What do you guys think? Am I overreacted think he not as good of a goat owner and goat seller as he says he is?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
You may think I’m stupid but I just don’t have a good feeling about this guy, his price is also a lot cheaper than the other goats I have been looking into , which isn’t a bad thing but it just makes me wondering why sell them so cheap when the goat market is pretty high right now?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Please help me decide I haven’t had much experience with buy goats and the two experiences I’ve had we’re the best , first one I took home was covered in lice and second one had very bad hoofs that I still haven’t gotten back to normal and I trim about every 2 to 3 weeks. So please share your wisdom and what you would do

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,699 Posts
Maybe ask if you can visit their farm to help make a decision. If you meet the guy in person and see how their goats are kept then maybe it's worth it to you. Sometimes people can be awkward over email. Trust your gut though, don't buy a goat that comes from an unhealthy herd just because you like its color. 😉

·
Registered
791 Posts
Absolutely go with your gut! If you end up not liking the animal or she doesn’t work out for one reason or another you will kick yourself 20 times harder if you were on the fence and went against your gut.
But I’m going to kinda defend him slightly. Dehorning is not the same as disbudding. Dehorning can pretty much be done at any age. I did my sons wether at 4 months old, I know one person who bands horns at 6 months old and many people who have done adults. It is harder on the animal then disbudding but it can be done.
Lice and mites happen. They can get it from wild birds, straw, shavings or even hay. It’s hard to take what people say over text/ email and to be honest if I got the impression that I didn’t have healthy goats because I had lice in my herd I would probably puff up at you.
BUT the testing, if you want a clean tested herd there should be NO give on that! Everyone that tests their herds know that a buyer is going to want to see proof of that. I would probably give the guy some time, maybe he had something come up, he might have kids, trust me those things can be very demanding lol or he works. But he needs to show you that proof. Mellon friend is absolutely correct a healthy goat is more important then a pretty goat, especially at the expense of the animals you already own

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
4 weeks does seem way too late to disbud. And he should be able to fairly quickly send you a pic of the herd test results. I’d go with your gut. If you feel there’s something off, you’re probably right.

ETA: I’m no expert. Just bought my first goats. It went nothing like this.
Thanks for your advice, I’m going to give him till this evening to send me pics of the paper stating he has a clean herd, if doesn’t I’m going to tell him I changed my mind. Thanks again

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe ask if you can visit their farm to help make a decision. If you meet the guy in person and see how their goats are kept then maybe it's worth it to you. Sometimes people can be awkward over email. Trust your gut though, don't buy a goat that comes from an unhealthy herd just because you like its color. 😉
I’m would love to go see her before I buy her but they are 2 hours away and I don’t have my license and my parents already said they’re not driving that far and back just for a goat, the guy said he will deliver , so that’s what I’m going to do if I decide to get her, thanks

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Absolutely go with your gut! If you end up not liking the animal or she doesn’t work out for one reason or another you will kick yourself 20 times harder if you were on the fence and went against your gut.
But I’m going to kinda defend him slightly. Dehorning is not the same as disbudding. Dehorning can pretty much be done at any age. I did my sons wether at 4 months old, I know one person who bands horns at 6 months old and many people who have done adults. It is harder on the animal then disbudding but it can be done.
Lice and mites happen. They can get it from wild birds, straw, shavings or even hay. It’s hard to take what people say over text/ email and to be honest if I got the impression that I didn’t have healthy goats because I had lice in my herd I would probably puff up at you.
BUT the testing, if you want a clean tested herd there should be NO give on that! Everyone that tests their herds know that a buyer is going to want to see proof of that. I would probably give the guy some time, maybe he had something come up, he might have kids, trust me those things can be very demanding lol or he works. But he needs to show you that proof. Mellon friend is absolutely correct a healthy goat is more important then a pretty goat, especially at the expense of the animals you already own
Okay I didn’t know that about dehorning, I know they can get lice and mites from multiple things I just don’t want to get one that already has them, I going to give him till this evening for a pic of the disease test paper, he said he’ll send me a video of her sometime so if he sends the pic of the paper and the video, I’ll decide, thanks everyone

·
Fair-Haven
4,932 Posts
Short answer. Pass. Dehorning is very invasive and opens the sinus cavity. It will take her a while to recover. If they do this right before rehoming, she will have a lot of stress that can lead to other issues. What breed? If dairy, definitely pass, most dairy breeders disbud at birth. It may be worth your while to save a little more $$ and get a solid healthy girl. The $$ adds up quickly if you have problems.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Short answer. Pass. Dehorning is very invasive and opens the sinus cavity. It will take her a while to recover. If they do this right before rehoming, she will have a lot of stress that can lead to other issues. What breed? If dairy, definitely pass, most dairy breeders disbud at birth. It may be worth your while to save a little more $$ and get a solid healthy girl. The $$ adds up quickly if you have problems.
I found another doeling that is more to my liking and I feel a lot better about this owner. Thanks everyone

1 - 14 of 14 Posts