Should I or shouldn't I ?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by mistyblue, Jul 23, 2010.

1. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    I am having a tough time with this one.

I have been offered a 8 month old ND blue-eyed doe, unregistered. She is a doll but I just don't know if I should take her or not. They are only wanting $50 for her as I am a friend of theirs.

I really love her coloring and especially her floppy ears, the are not straight, but don't flop like a nubian. Here is a picture, what do you think, would you take her?

Little Bit
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Those ears sure are heavy for a ND. She looks almost myotonic. But my Rudy has heavy ears like that too, and I just make sure to cross her to a buck with perfect ears. I like her, and if I was looking to add more ND, at that price, I would get her.

3. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    This is why I wanted others to comment on her. Besides the ears I am not sure her face is quite right for a Nigie. But those ears are just adorable!

But I still have this gorgeous blue eyed buck Doodle that would cross just perfect with her. Her offspring would be either freezer camp canidates or sold for pets.

4. zoomom

zoomom New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Maybe it's the pic, but her legs look a bit short for a ND - she almost looks pygmy-like to me.

Here is my opinion, and why. I have an unregistered ND that i got for $40. She is a sweetheart, and I love her dearly. But I am sort of kicking myself for getting her (not now that i have fallen in love with her, but it is easier to say 'no' before they enter your home, once they do, they are your responsibility - does that make sense?)

The reason is that it costs just as much to raise her, and her babies, as a purebred, but the babies are worth less if I want to sell them. I am not in it for the money, but it is nice to break even once in a while. I decided that if I do buy any more does, i will just get purebreds with papers. That is my personal opinion, and I don't expect everyone to feel the same, and I feel fortunate that i can afford to be picky. On the other hand, i can't see spending $300 plus on a goat either - my other does did not cost me that much but it took more time to find registered ones in my price range.

I guess it all depends on what you plan to do with her, and if you have the room to care for her.

5. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    I would say she definitely has another breed influence in there.... she doesn't look dairy at all. However I wouldn't think myotonic.... ears and eyes aren't right. :) Shes cute.... but as stated above.... it depends on where you are going with your breeding program on whether it is a good idea to purchase her. :)

6. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    Now see we do have some unregistered stock and we sell those as pets or for meat. But we are really trying to work on adding new bloodlines and building up our registered animals.

7. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I vote no, but she is cute! I think if you are working on building up a good registered herd then any goats you add to the herd should be ones you just "can't live without"...you should have no doubts when purchasing new herd members. Good luck with whatever you decide! ;)

8. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Looking at her again, yeah I'd have to pass too. She just isn't appealing to me, and I'm too breeding up and cutting out animals that aren't what I'm aiming for.

9. TnLFarm

TnLFarm New Member

May 28, 2010
    What i do when deciding is make sure there are not no faults or really major ones, because when you have breeders come over they will notice it right away. If you think she will do your herd justice get'her if not i would pass. And another thing if you do get her she could be easily give you that 50 back in kid profit. And if you have to sell her she will most likely bring 50 at the sale barn. These are some thought for you to think about

10. Nubiansrus1

Nubiansrus1 New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Shes cute, but the fact that your asking us says you may already know what you should do. I started out my herd taking in any goat that needed a home. I later got into knowing my goats more and decided i wanted pure nubian and la manchas. Now i have a bunch of "mutts" Im attached to, but there not really what I wanna breed. But I still gotta feed em. I think youd regret it later. Even if she is cute. Something is off about her besides her ear.

11. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    Now see I did the same when starting my herd, as long as it was ND or mini-mancha I just took in anything that caught my fancy like she did. I can turn a profit on her kids with no problem, but I am really wanting to work on increasing my registered animals and to start upgrading my herd.

I can probably find another home for her with no problem as she is really cute, y'all just helped me make my mind up that I will not take her but help them find someone else who will enjoy her.

12. Mon Reve Farm

Mon Reve Farm New Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Southern DE
    I wouldn't take her... in my opinion even with registered stock there is still that percentage that are born who did not get all the "good genetics" and you would have to sell them at a lower price then the ones that do get the good genetics and you can have a higher price tag. So if that can happen with registered better quality stock then why get an animal that will never give you that possibility of the good genetics.

Unless of course you fall in love... which can happen and of course I have my little Cosmo wether who was a runt and not expected to survived but followed me around the breeders farm whenever we went to visit. But I put him in the same category as my 5 rescued dogs - someone needs to love them! LOL