Should I shave the whole herd??

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by KLSpoultry, Jun 17, 2009.

1. KLSpoultry

KLSpoultry New Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    It's starting to get hot and humid here, 82 degrees as of 10 am.

My pygmys are in their dog house panting away and my little Igor is panting as well. The only ones who are fine are my Nubians because I shaved them for a show this weekend. Should I shave the others??

What do you all do in the summer to help them cope with the heat.

They have shade and plenty of fresh water.

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    i would shave them...mine were overheating and I gave them a 1inch clip.

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I would definatley shave them, just make sure that they have a place to stay warm at night.

4. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

If you dont plan on showing the pygmies i would shave them. but if you show i think they are typically just trimmed.
    beth

5. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    I would shave the poor goaties :thumb: I can only imagine how they feel. I hate being hot! I prefer the snow myself :)

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Just be careful and make sue they have a way to get out of the sun. A sunburned goat is not a happy goat at all.

7. KLSpoultry

KLSpoultry New Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    I shaved Spice and she HATED it. Made her pant and scream, she thought I was killing her. I hope she forgives me, I'm going to need to get some cookies for her. The clip looks horrible, but I got the majority of her and I'm sure she feels better. I refuse to clip her head, her beard is too beautiful to take off. You couldn't pay me!! I'll get pictures once she comes out of hiding...

I also clipped Igor, he stood great in the stanchion, my perfect baby. He is the reason I'm only bottle feeding from now on, best goat i've ever had!! Granted I've only had 6 in my whole life.

I am not even going to atttempt Romeo, he is a WILD goat to put it lightly. He's going to have to deal cause I can't catch him.

Pics once it cools down

8. ksacres

ksacres New Member

Oct 30, 2007
    San Antonio Texas
    We usually clip our entire herd. But we only do a few at a time, over the course of about a month. In fact, I have only finished two so far. Guess I better get crackin!

9. KLSpoultry

KLSpoultry New Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    Here are my pics of the shaved ones...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. greatcashmeres

greatcashmeres New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine
    On the hottest, most humid day, they are certainly going to forgive you for what they went through. :shades: Igor deserves a :thumb: for taking it so well!

11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    your goats are really nice..... :love: :greengrin:

they look like they are pouting ...LOL....... :greengrin:

12. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    lucky goats...mine had to have me clip them. muahaa! but their hair is coming back.

they look good.