The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My goats are 65 pounds and look good and healthy. They just have a cough so i gave them penicillin without realizing there was a slaughter date for that medicine. I was planing on selling them july 15 at Arthur auction sell barn and wasnt sure if i can still sell them there or not because you never know what the buyer will do with the goat. Any suggestions?

·
2,203 Posts
You can sell any animal so long as it is fully made aware that it sells as Medicated. 10cc you're good after one week. When in doubt you can always check urine sample for antibiotic.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya i gave them 10cc and i gave it to them yesterday. But if i sell them as medicated would it lower the price of them? As in would i get less for them. For example it is 1.90 to 2 dollars a pound is what their selling for. If i sell it as medicated how much would it depreciate?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry now i have a question about batryel. We gave that to some goats and only 2cc of it. Does anyone know how long u have to Wait for that to go away?

·
2,203 Posts
Ya i gave them 10cc and i gave it to them yesterday. But if i sell them as medicated would it lower the price of them? As in would i get less for them. For example it is 1.90 to 2 dollars a pound is what their selling for. If i sell it as medicated how much would it depreciate?
It's hard to tell. With goats the market is better overall anyway, mainly because people don't mostly buy just straight to slaughter. A lot go as pets or backyards. But then again, auctions are always a toss up. Like say for example you have a finished steer then is say it's worth the wait until withholding is over.

Better yet, keep records of vaccinations and withholding times for future reference.

·
2,203 Posts
Sorry now i have a question about batryel. We gave that to some goats and only 2cc of it. Does anyone know how long u have to Wait for that to go away?
For some reason I believe baytril is 3 weeks withholding for meat.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
No there will be nothing with goats. Have you been to this auction?? If you have Im sure you can kinda get a feel for what kind of buyers are there. The one I go to 99% of the goats go to people that want a back yard bbq, and the other go to the butcher house, so if its like that, I would think about not selling them, but also keep in mind what your cost is to feed them. You could always buy them back as well, I have done that, BUT the one I go to is very clean, They bleach everything before and after any goats come in and every seller gets their own pen so there is not a big chance of catching something, even though when they get home I still treat them as a new goat to the ranch and keep away from everyone else. Thats the thing about selling at the acution, its a gamble. Can I ask why you are dead set on the 15th??? I think there is a muslim holiday coming up I think in augest, I will have to find my book and look at it. The 15th is, IMO not really a good time to sell, prices will boom right before a holiday.....k found my book its augest 8th, so If the sale goes every monday I would sell either the 5th, which your back yard bbq people will buy, or the 29, and that will give butcher houses time to get it shipped to a store. Again, total gamble :(

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well my goats are 65 pounds so i want to get rid of them as soon as possible because I've heard they go for more between 40 and 60 pounds....i called the auctioner and he said they are going for 1.90 a pound so right now would be the best time. I was now thinking on the 8th. of July because i will have another set of goats to sell in August anyway.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Try calling the local sale barn and ask them. They should be able to answer your question. If it's just a matter of a few days and the auctioneer states that at bidding time then the buyer may not care.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Also... Animals sell better just after the first of the month when people get paid. So the closer to the first you can get them in the better off you'll be.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Auctions are always a gamble. It all depends on how many people decide they want your goats, and how much they are willing to pay. Knowing your local auction, and who typically buys there will help, but there is only so much you can do, and at some point you just have to take the gamble.

As an example, my local auction house typically has two primary buyers. Occasionally, we get back yard BBQ/pet buyers but these seem to be random. At the beginning of the month we may get a couple extra big buyers, but more people bring their goats in, which seems to keep prices level. The same goes for holidays. I have actually seen goats go for a lot of money at random times just because there were only 20-30 goats at the sale and the brokers had orders to fill. For me, I avoid selling from the middle of Aug through mid Sept because this is when people with goat tying goats dump their goats for the season, the extra goats seem to keep prices down.

As far as the slaughter withdraw, when in doubt you can always call the vet. Personally, I only medicate my slaughter kids if it is absolutely needed, and always mark the slaughter withdraw down on a calender. If I run into a situation where I must sell a medicated goat, I give the brokers the slaughter withdraw date. It doesn't seem to affect the price they are willing to pay mostly because with brokers there is at least a week turnaround between buying the goats and getting them to slaughter. I've never sold a goat with more than that left on it's withdraw time.

Your plan for selling in Aug seems good. As long as they don't go over 80lbs you should still get good prices for them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts