The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First let me start by saying I have a tendency to freak out :crazy:

My doe Jaz kidded yesterday twin bucks. The kidding was okay with no huge complications. I gave her molasses water and grain along with hay last night. I came out this morning and let her out of the barn she drank a bunch of water and that was it. She has nibbled a little on hay maybe 1/4 leaf all day, she's turned her nose up to alfalfa pellets and grain. She won't drink I've offered cold fresh water and molasses water. I've drug the bucket over to her and she has no interest. All day long she has stood guard she won't lay down and rest. I think she's protecting her kids but I'm afraid that she's not resting and that she's either going to get sick, stop producing milk, collapse or die.

Should I take the kids so she'll relax?
Are there any tricks to make a doe eat, drink and relax

Any and all suggestions, tricks and words of wisdom are appreciated

·
Banned
43 Posts
I believe that all kids should be pulled at birth and bottle fed anyway, so my answer is yes. Keep in mind that if they are within hearing distance, that may stress her as well. Either way, if she isn't in a stall away from the rest of the herd, I would at least do that. If she isn't looking better by tomorrow, time to call the vet.

·
14,615 Posts
It's good she's up protecting those kids. I'd be more concerned if she was laying around.
The molasses water was a good move. Maybe she would enjoy some electrolytes water.
Alot of times new mamas dont eat & drink as much as they should the first day or two. You can give her some Bcomplex.

What do you mean by no huge complications?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Her first buck was big and it was my first kidding. He came out hoof first by the time I realized that there wasn't another foot his nose was coming out. He was BIG I helped pull him. That's all I meant.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's good she's up protecting those kids. I'd be more concerned if she was laying around.
The molasses water was a good move. Maybe she would enjoy some electrolytes water.
Alot of times new mamas dont eat & drink as much as they should the first day or two. You can give her some Bcomplex.

What do you mean by no huge complications?
Where do I get Bcomplex? Vet supply or just my local farm store?

·
Super Moderator
58,258 Posts
She will be more stressed if you take them away. I would leave them. You can get B complex at the farm store.

·
14,615 Posts
Good job getting him out, sometimes we will see one hoof but not the other you did great there.
I do agree with Karen, seperating them is going to cause stress the doe does not need.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
she's probably just tired and getting over the ordeal of birthing. give her another day and let her rest. i'm sure she'll starting eating soon enough!

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I agree with KSalvagno and NancyD. If the kids start acting hungry, supplement them but don't pull them.

·
Registered
30,005 Posts
I agree...I wouldnt take the kids..but as Adam acres said..take her temp...just to be sure she is feeling well...keep hay in her stall and fresh water and maybe add a bucket of home made electrolytes for her to choose...offer grain but if she does not eat it toss it and refresh daily ( twice daily if its humid) I would also Offer fresh green leaves from one of your trees, and B complex...Tracotr supply will carry it : ) dont forget to worm her if you havent already
here is the electro recipe
Homemade Electrolytes
A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
She's doing much better! She had some of the placenta and she ate a lot of grain I think to much grain, the placenta and giving birth along with being a protective mommy did a number on her stomach and wore her out. I figured I was worrying but I'd rather be safe than sorry!

·
Registered
30,005 Posts
good shes feeling better..we can never worry too much...

·
Member with a bahhh
2,472 Posts
Some moms are just so overwhelmed to have their new babies they over dote on them. After a few days to a week she should calm down.

I personally don't agree that if you separate them and she can see and hear them is stresses them more. I have taken a some from birth and they do better in the adjacent pen where they can see, hear and touch noses. If I completely take them away out of sight and sound some does get soo depressed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts