Should I treat with Penicillin? (weak pos cl titer)

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Perfect7, May 11, 2010.

1. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    Hello again everyone! My boer goat (about 12 weeks prego) has had a stuffy sounding nose off and on since we brought her home, particularly on humid days. Her temperature is normal between 101.5 and 102.5, lungs sounds clear, eating and drinking just fine. This afternoon she has some thick, light yellow discharge from her nose....just a small amount, and I've noticed the glands are swollen on her right side along the neck just below her ear. She was treated for pink eye a couple weeks ago on the right side and the glands were slightly swollen at that time, it's just a bit bigger now. There is no coughing with this, though she had a dry cough about a week ago with it when it was raining (1-2 days only). I didn't treat because she had no temp and otherwise seemed fine.
    But with the thicker nasal discharge, would you go ahead and treat with five days of penicillin or let it go unless she develops wet lungs, a fever, or comes off her food? I should add that she was wormed twice with ivermec, so I thought maybe she was clearing out some lung worms. It's been very hot and humid here by day and cooler by night all week.

2. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Re: Should I treat with Penicillin?

Penicillan isnt the drug of choice for respitory. You are going to want to use Biomycin, LA 200, or nuflor.
    I would try some vetrx in the nostrils first...it could be she has a little normal snot mixed with hay.
    Vicks works too!

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

No Temp, lungs sound fine. Why would you want to give her a antibiotic?

I would use Vet Rx or even Vicks or Mentholatum on her nose.

I look at it as a human, if I took a antibiotic every time I had a runny nose and such, I would be in trouble.

4. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia

Personally, I haven't taken antibiotics in 5 years. I just take garlic and lots of zinc and vitamin c. :). I just didn't want to let it keep going if I needed to treat her, especially since she's pregnant. I got some nutridrench and vicks vapor rub for her. She was underweight when I got her, so we're playing catch up with her health. I felt iffy on antibiotics, and appreciate the help!

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

if it doesnt get better but keeps getting worse she may jsut be a goat that doesnt get a temp when fighting something. A temp is the bodies way of killing off the bacteria but not every goat does this (my Angie is an example she doesnt get a temp but had a vaginal infection and then another time pneumonia).

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

Can you get pics of it? Is it.. losing hair.. where the bump is?

7. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia

I will take a picture of it when I feed her this evening. It's actually about three glands. Two are about the size of a jelly bean and the other is larger, like 2-3 jelly beans clumped together. They run in a line, like the lymph nodes that travel along the neck. She also began a dry hacking cough last night, but no fever still and no more thick mucus. She just sounds congested in her nose. With all of this pollen around here lately, I know how she feels.
    I also learned why a drench syringe comes in so handy when giving her the nutri-drench. Trying to give 30 cc of the stuff with that fat syringe was really fun. :roll:
    I think I'm more concerned with how long she's had it versus how severe the symptoms are (about 3 weeks).

8. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia

Oh, sorry. No, there is no hair loss there.

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

wow yeah... get a pic and we will see .... what we think it may be... :hug:

10. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    Re: Should I treat with Penicillin? (Pictures Added)

The bottom swollen gland has gotten a bit bigger since last night. It looks about like a small grape. It doesn't seem to bother her when I touch it and they are soft, fluid filled. Still no fever, and no thick mucus from her nose today at all (but it's not humid, either).

11. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

hmm that is very odd -- sounds like she is fighting off some kind of infection but not sure what

12. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

There is a definate swelling that I can see...has she had an issue with the swelling before? The bottom pic is showing what appears to be scars above the swelled area.

13. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia

I'm not sure if she's had issues with swelling before, but wish I did. I bought her from a man on April 17th who had her listed on craigslist, selling her for his "brother who culled her because her feet need trimmed too much". She was supposedly purebred and otherwise healthy (way too thin, back bone showing and sunk in over her hips). She is also pregnant, though the man didn't know that. She's put on quite a bit of weight and looks very prego now (she's 9-12 weeks now with a single per the ultrasound), but by the looks of her hooves and thin body she had been neglected for awhile. Poor baby, and she's so loving and affectionate.
    I can take her to the vet tomorrow, I kind of just hate transporting her being pregnant if it's something I can treat here at home (no stock trailer yet so I have to have the hubby hoist her 155 lbs into the back of my SUV!)

14. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas

Ok - I am VERY concerned about the lumps. CL tends to come out during times of stress and pregnancy. CL follows the lymphatic system which is where these lumps are. Are the lump/s mushy at this point? I really have a fear here of CL. When you go to the vet, ask them to aspirate the cyst, send it to the lab, and isolate till you get the test results back.

A lot of times people will say "oh no its not CL, there is no hair loss, it is fluid filled not dry cheese". The cysts srat as fluid filled pockets that graw, then the hair falls out, then the prudulent mateer dries out, then rupture.

I can not say for sure that is what it is - but definate isolation and test before its to late and have the possibility of the whole herd being infected

15. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

good point allison -- I hope it isnt CL though and just how her body reacts to being sick :(

testing though is important so you know for sure

16. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas

Thank you stacey. When I posted earlier - I was on my phone - now that i am on my computer monitor - it really looks like previous abcess scar tissue above and a new abcess below.

I would definately seperate, test the insides of the cyst and go from there. I have a feeling, you were lied to as to why the person was really selling the goat ..... I sure hope that I am wrong

17. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia

Oh boy. I just briefly read about CL. I will aspirate the largest cyst in the morning and take it to the vet while isolating her from everybody else. If the cyst needs to be lanced and removed I can do that after deadening with local lidocaine (I was a paramedic for 14 years), but will see what the vet suggests. Will this affect her unborn kids since she will be treated prior to their birth around the end of July, if it is CL?
    Fortunately, I'm sure none have ruptured yet (though the big one looks close) and nobody else has any unusual lumps on them. Thanks you you guys, we may be preventing an outbreak.
    The largest lump feels soft, but the smaller ones do feel more solid. I'm going out now to put her in a seperate pen away from the others. I'll update when we know more!

18. MiGoat

MiGoat New Member

Apr 21, 2010
    West Michigan
  19. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

wow... that is weird......does your vet make house calls? If so... it would put less stress on her...rather than taking her in...... I hope... it isn't CL... but... it should be tested to be sure.... :hug:

20. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia

yes, he does make house calls and I will call him in the morning to come out and test her for CL. I did read some about treating her with Formulin, and also that CL can affect her babies if allowed to nurse so they would have to be pulled right after birth and bottle fed. :sigh:
    I'm going to pray it's just swollen lymph nodes from a respiratory infection :pray: Of all the goats we have, she is my favorite and, while I haven't had her long, she has really grown on me. She comes up and gives me kisses, nibbles my hair. It's like she is saying thank you for giving her a good home, either that or I'm just loopy.
    I think I'm reading if it's CL I would be unable to aspirate any fluid, but if it is I will not. So.....I will be putting on my medical gloves and taking a syringe out with me at midnight to see what's what. I have to move her anyway. I just wish it was in a spot not so close to nerves and major blood vessels....