The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I kind of want to use valbazen instead. Because I don't like that ivomec stings:( so I think I want to use valbazen:) what's the dosage? And valbazen works just as good as ivomec, right? And is it ok for my doe that are nursing twins? Thanks Megan

·
Super Moderator
83,191 Posts
Some users say 1cc per 10 lbs Valbezen

I however, use 1 cc per 33 lbs per my vet. That has worked well for my herd. I guess to each his own or what ever works, I won't break it. ;)

Yes Valbezen, it works just as good as Ivomec, however, with Ivomec, if your goats have tapes, it will not work for them.
Safe for nursing kids as well. But not safe for the preggo's.

·
I'm watching you
22,273 Posts
Valbazen is good for tapes. It isn't real good on stomach worms. It only kills the adults where Ivomec will also kill a lot of the larvae.

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
You can give the Ivomec orally, no need to inject it. Just take the needle off after you draw it out of the bottle and squirt it in their mouth.

I give 1 cc per 10 lbs of the Valbazen 3 days in a row per my vet. The goats will hate you by the second day, but this way works for me. Here in NE Oklahoma with the cool wet springs we have worms are terrible, so I do have to give a heavier dose than someone who is in a drier area.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
But I thought it was bad to do orally on the ivomec. I thought you can only inject it?? What's the dose for ivomec if I do orally? Thanks

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
It's fine to give it orally, I have been for several years and never had a problem. I give 1 cc per 25 lbs. I have found some of my goats think it is tasty and they will suck it down themselves then want more. lol

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
It's fine to give it orally, I have been for several years and never had a problem. I give 1 cc per 25 lbs. I have found some of my goats think it is tasty and they will suck it down themselves then want more. lol
Does that apply to the Ivomec plus also?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
But I thought it was bad to do orally on the ivomec. I thought you can only inject it?? What's the dose for ivomec if I do orally? Thanks
I think what you're thinking of is that there can be bleed out if a goat has a heavy worm load and they are dosed orally. When the worms let go they leave a small hole that bleeds.......when a whole bunch of them let go the goat bleeds out. I've given Ivomec orally with no problem but I have heard that a bleed out is a horrible way for a goat to go:(

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
You can give Cayenne tincture orally to protect them and perhaps prevent them from bleeding out.

·
I'm watching you
22,273 Posts
Bleed out is a myth. Every picture of it on the net is the same pic and traces back to a single site. If anyone can find an actual study about it, not a university theory, an actual study that proves it...I'll eat my words.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I use dog worm tablets!! for tape worm,works well and can be used with other drenches(oral).For kids from 3 weeks of age I crush tablet/s 1 tablet to 10 kgs of weight and pop it in their milk bottles.If they have a bad tape burden what comes out is horrible!! :eek: and you will have to re treat in 4 weeks to break the egg cycle.Ive been breeding Toggenburgs for over 20 years and part of kid rearing Ive used dog tape worm tablets,works well,teejae :D

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Bleed out is a myth. Every picture of it on the net is the same pic and traces back to a single site. If anyone can find an actual study about it, not a university theory, an actual study that proves it...I'll eat my words.
That's interesting.........I guess you really can't believe everything on the Internet! Good to know! You are a wealth of information goat hiker!

·
Super Moderator
83,191 Posts
Have you seen this site, it shows the inside of a goat that died from bleed out.

I have seen a lot of sites as well, saying the same thing about bleed out, it only makes since, when the worms release quickly, at the same time.

http://goat-link.com/content/view/58/#.Ue8ycawkwYQ

·
I'm watching you
22,273 Posts
Certainly, that was copied from the old Goatbeat website. Don't bother looking for it, it went defunct in the 90's and nobody wants the bad name. It's a picture of a goat being butchered. There is no evidence shown that is conclusive.

This one on the other hand actually shows you what the worms are doing. It makes no sense that killing what's making them bleed to death would be bad. http://www.aces.edu/pubs/docs/U/UNP-0078/UNP-0078.pdf

You find me an actual peer reviewed study that says that they bleed out from oral wormer and I drive to your house and clean your barn with a pitchfork and wheelbarrow next April. It must be from a recognized peer reviewed site...

·
Registered
30,676 Posts
I dont have "scientific proof" but I do believe I lost goats due to bleed out..its the only thing that explain the quick decline and death, Case in ppint, my young healthy 6 month old Nubian, was fine, eyes were slightly pale (maybe a 3 on the famancha chart), wormed her with cydectin orally, since everyone was being wormed..and hour later she was weaker and needy, checked her eyes and they were almost white...brought her in the house and kept her calm, hydrated,..that early evening, her eye lids had no color...she died in my arm..less than 24 hours after having slightly pale eyes, I know things hapen fast with goats and it could have been anything, I didnt take her temp, so I dont know if she had fever, but I still feel its what killed my goats.. there are many things that people spread as truth over fear or ignorance...and I sure do not want to be one of those people lol..but somethings are best avoided until further proof is found. IMHO :D

·
Registered
30,676 Posts
You find me an actual peer reviewed study that says that they bleed out from oral wormer and I drive to your house and clean your barn with a pitchfork and wheelbarrow next April. It must be from a recognized peer reviewed site...
I might have to do this just so we can meet :D

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
I worm my goats all the time with cydectin and ivomec orally, never had one die from bleeding out. Any new goats are always wormed with cydectin. Not saying it can't happen, but I would assume there was something else underlying that caused the goats to die. Perhaps the type of cydectin used would make a difference, the pour on cydectin and the injectable cydectin have different amounts of the drug per ml (injectable has 10 mg moxidectin per ml and the pour on has 5 mg moxidectin per ml), so using the same dose for both (orally) could cause an overdose with the injectable. My vet has me using the sheep oral cydectin (at a higher dose) so it is already designed to go into the animal's stomach.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts