The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
14,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to debate on whether we should leave the mama of 10 1/2 week old kids at home for a show this evening and see how they do?
I asked this a month ago, haha, but of course the kids are older, and will be getting close to time for weaning in a few weeks.

It's a bit tight on the trailer, but the biggest issue is I have to put the mama in with 2 other yearlings on the trailer, and one of them is very very mean to her. If pens are limited, then I have to put her, and the 2 babies in a pen with one or both of the other yearlings and again they are just not very nice to her or the babies.

If we leave her at home, we can put the babies in a pen with the other young goats.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Most of ours are weaned by 8-10 weeks. Bottle babies over 8 weeks are usually down to one bottle a day. Most folks with milking does start separating babies at night at around 2-4 weeks old (so they can milk in the morning).

All to say -- separating 10 week olds for an evening show shouldn't be a problem at all. Not that they will be happy about it -- goats seem to dislike any change in routine.

·
14,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! Yep just for about 8-12 hours at most <I hope lol>. We'll leave her home. Kinda hoping with mama not there that the doeling will behave better. She always throws a fit and tries to run back to the pen to mama.

Wish us luck! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts